Installing Vista OEM

jameswalpole 23:20 31 Jan 2007

I've got a copy of Vista Home Premium 64bit on an OEM edition, I'm going to install it on my PC which currently has XP Pro, I've tried booting from the Vista disc which runs until it gets to the select installtion drive stage.

My hard drives appear on the list but my System drive doesn't, my system drive currently has XP pro on it and is a pair of drives in a striped RAID that opperate as a single drive.

I am I right that my system drive doesn't appear because it already has an OS on it and my disc is OEM ?

Also which is the best method of formatting my machine prior to putting Vista on ? maybe running my XP disc and formatting via that ?

And if I do format my drive/drives will they lose the striped RAID fuction and appear as 2 drives instead of one combined ??

Cheers in advance.

jackhass 16:35 01 Feb 2007

ßeta I am also a member of FAST (Federation Against Squeelling Talk).

I like it when travellers use 'cattle class' protest train tickets which are accepted.Why?

Because we are British and there comes a time when we are forced to poke the eye of the Monopolies!

Forum Editor 17:28 01 Feb 2007

Please stop acting the fool. Either offer advice, or don't, but stop picking on other forum members, simply because they give the correct information.

Technically you may only install an OEM copy of Vista (or any other version of Windows, come to that) on a brand new computer, and once the computer 'dies' the OEM license dies with it.

That's the legal situation, and that's why other forum members mentioned it - they know from experience. If someone wants to beat the system, that their affair, but we're not here to tell them how, or to encourage them - that's what some other forums do, and that's why they have few members, and are offline after a relatively short while. We're in this for the long haul, and as long as I have anything to do with it the advice we offer will be as accurate as we can make it.

jackhass 18:05 01 Feb 2007

FE I respect the job you have to do and all the legal realities involved but as to the situation I posed regarding destroying the new pc on day one ,show me a judge that would condemn anyone for trying to recoup some of their sad loses.

ventanas,I trust that you have never lent out a copyrighted music CD or DVD film as you quite well know that this would be in breach of the copyright laws.

Strange isn't it how the vast majority have no qualms about breaking this law and society ain't bothered either about such blatant protectionism.

jackhass 18:12 01 Feb 2007

"jackass is living up to his name" provoked your 'onour.

Case dismissed and damages awarded.

Kate B 18:20 01 Feb 2007

Jimbo, where did you find your SATA raid driver?

jackhass 18:31 01 Feb 2007

Kate B if you go into Device Manager ,then under SCSI and Raid Controllers you should see the manufacturer eg VIA.

You should be able to get the latest drivers from their web site.Look up the site for your motherboard too.

PaulB2005 20:03 01 Feb 2007

Beta - "Microsoft dropped the requirement for hardware to be bought with OEM copies of windows in Q1 2006

However it still has to be installed on a new PC or a PC that you have "built yourself", as that apparently classes you as a system builder."

So does this mean that as i built the PC i am using now, which has an OEM Win XP Pro installed, i can buy and install a Vista OEM copy onto it?

PaulB2005 20:08 01 Feb 2007

"OEM Vista product keys cannot activate online
OEM Vista product keys cannot activate over the phone
OEM Vista can only be pre-activated"

Any truth in this. The poster claims "I dont just "think this is the case", I SPECIFICALLY know this is the case."

He also goes on to claim that you need to be a registered OEM to activate OEM copies of Vista.

PaulB2005 20:10 01 Feb 2007

Is there a copy online i can read?

PaulB2005 20:20 01 Feb 2007

Found the poster back-tracking later...

"Yeah, I am confusing people today, sometimes by accident.....but the OEM version you get from dell/hp/etc will behave like I stated. The product certain web etailers are selling as OEM comes with different keys which will allow activation via phone/web."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

How to find a font: Discover the name of a typeface with these apps

The best iPhone for 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)