Installing updated drivers

hazelnut 14:15 10 May 2003

I have just downloaded updated drivers for my soundcard. I am hesitating with the installation because I have never done it before. Are there any pitfalls ahead ? or is it straight forward. Any instructions would be gratefully received.

nickthebestuk 15:08 10 May 2003

You should uninstall youre current drivers then install your new ones to prevent conflicts with windows.

nickthebestuk 15:08 10 May 2003

You should uninstall your current drivers then install your new ones to prevent conflicts with windows.

hazelnut 16:18 10 May 2003

Thanks Nick, next question is, how do you uninstall the current drivers ?

Pc.2 16:27 10 May 2003

Right click on My Computer.
Left click on Properties....Hardware....Device Manager....

Left click on + sign next to Sound,Video and Game Controllers.

Find the sound card name....Right click on it and click Uninstall.

NICK ADSL UK 16:50 10 May 2003

hi hazelnut nick is quite right it what he says about un-installing your sound driver or you could just click update your driver and click update from a list of where you have stored it this is sometimes a better way of updating a driver as it leaves a good driver in place and lets windows decide if your new driver is better [signed etc]and the correct one not only just for your sound-cards benefit but also your motherboards benefit as there is a lot of customization that goes on within the computer industry

Ironman556 16:52 10 May 2003

It's also recommended that you close all running programs before installing. Open all the programs running in the tray in the bottom right hand corner, and select "Close" or "Exit" (or right click them and select "Exit". Use Ctrl+Alt+Delete and close everything but Systray and Explorer (I don't knw if there's anything else to avoid in XP) for anything still running that you can't close.

Having said all that, I only close scanners and monitors such as Virus scans when I update.

hazelnut 19:18 10 May 2003

Ironman556/Nick ADSL Uk/ Pc.2/nickthebestuk, and here goes !

Stuartli 21:08 10 May 2003

Better to uninstall old driver (unless new one installs over it) as you can have too many variants and run into unexpected problems.

hazelnut 10:04 11 May 2003

refresh

powerless 10:09 11 May 2003

Whats the problem hazelnut?

The advice given is what i would do. Are expereiencing an error message or something?

Also do you really need to update your sound drivers?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?