Installing two OS'

Dazwm 17:28 07 Sep 2003

I have split my hard drive in two and I want to put Windows XP on one and Windows ME on the other . Is this possible, and when I start up my puter will I have a choice as to which one I use?
P.S I have Partition Magic and have tried this but to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

harry_b 17:36 07 Sep 2003

to use the two partitions you will need boot magic which ships with partition magic, last time i used it you were limited with the second partition in so much as it would only work with a partition 8gb or under (dont know about the latest versions though) alternatively load win me and then xp, xp will allow you to dual boot between the two

Dazwm 17:42 07 Sep 2003

Sorry, I am pretty new to this can you put it in simpletons terms!!

harry_b 17:58 07 Sep 2003
  keith-236785 18:21 07 Sep 2003

are you prepared to format your entire drive, both partitions?

if so then format both partitions (assuming you have backups of all important items, also make a note of ALL hardware (make and model in case you have to search for new drivers on the internet), internet logon names and passwords etc....) start by installing windows ME on drive D....

once installed ok including all drivers, start to install windows XP on drive C....

windows XP will provide a boot option for you, you can set the time later through control panel.

dont forget to instal a virus checker and firewall for security, and any updates from Micro$oft.

good luck

leo49 18:26 07 Sep 2003

There are a couple of different ways to dualboot - using a 3rd party Bootmanager like Bootmagic or the Windows Bootloader in XP.Th eone you choose will determine how your drives are arranged and their visibility.

It's very easy to accomplish with Partition/Boot Magic or Windows but I would advise you not to rush into it without doing some research by searching Dualboot in Google and understanding the mechanism and the consequences of each method.

Dazwm 19:22 07 Sep 2003

If I format my harddrive will the two partitions still be on it so I can load ME on to 'E' then XP on to 'C'?

harry_b 20:53 07 Sep 2003

yes both partitions will remain, any data on them will be lost though.

Kitz E Kat 20:55 07 Sep 2003

Format C: and then format E:

I never use partition magic, its to easy to dual boot,on a clean disk you don't need it...

DO your formatting thing, load up ME, put that on to the C: drive and when that's completed load up XP as a clean install and opt to put that on the E: drive.... that's it, kinda simple..

Partition Magic is good at shifting partitions without loosing data, or your OS...

Your boot options will appear at startup..
God Luck
Kitz E

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?