Installing Telewest Broadband on a new PC

seagulls 22:05 11 Mar 2004

I am having a new PC delivered next week and wish to install my existing Telewest broadband connection on this. Telewest have a tutorial that says I have to register the new PCs Mac address but it may then take up to 24 hours before Telewest Broadband recognises the new machine. Am I missing something or does this mean that to retain internet access I need to keep my old system running for this 24 hour period and is there any way of knowing when I can unplug the modem from the old PC and plug it into the new one other than leaving it for 24 hours?

Curio 22:09 11 Mar 2004

I would suggest you ring Blueyonder tech helpline. 0845 142 4422. They are very good

the-george 22:39 11 Mar 2004

As you already have an existing account I do not see any real problem.
I have an ntl broadband account via a USB cable modem and I think telewest is a cable company as well. If this is the case then I have reinstalled
the software on my PC (running winME) several times after reformatting etc.which is akin to a fresh installation on a new PC.

The following steps seem to get me going ok with no time delay.
Put the installation CD into the drive and if it autoruns then just cancel it till you are back at the usual desktop but leave the CD in the drive.
Connect the cable modem to a USB port on the new PC.The PC should then autodetect the drivers.
Go to start /run and type winipcfg to check the configuration details.
There is no need to go through the registering rigmarole as all your details
should remain the same.

The connection should then be made. However, I would also make a note of
various settings that are on your old PC before shutting it down.
Do the winipcfg check as above and note ( or better still, do a screen dump - open a word document, when you have the winipcfg screen up press the print screen key - this saves the screen to the clipboard so it can be pasted in the word doc, then print for a permanent record.) I would also do this for the various setting accessed through Outlook via tools/accounts
so you can check that the settings are the same or enter them manually if necessary.

This always gets me up and running again.

Sir Radfordin 00:05 12 Mar 2004

click here for the answer from blueyonder.

A MAC address is unique to any network device (though they can be cloned). Telewests system will only let you connect over a device whose MAC address has been registerd with them. This process could take up to 24 hours though may take less.

I can't for the life of me remmeber if you need to register a MAC address when using it as a USB modem as I think it then takes the MAC address of the modem itself and uses that to get your connection. Seem to remember being able to plug mine into another laptop without any problems before. Either way, when the new PC comes plug the modem in and see what happens. If you need to register a MAC address just fire up the old PC or give Telewest a call as they can do it over the phone as well.

You should have been left installation instructions for the modem when it was first installed. There is no software that you need to install. If you can't find it shout and I'll dig mine out.

seagulls 09:47 12 Mar 2004

Thanks for the help guys - but it is as I thought. Spoke to Telewest and the new Mac address may work immediately. If it does not then I have to keep trying by switching the modem between the 2 PCs until it does and this may go on for up to 24 hours.

Terry Brown 19:03 21 Apr 2004

I put a new card in my system, as the other one kept reporting a fault. Phoned Telewest and they talked through the software to find the mac address, up and running in les than 15 minutes.
No Problem
Tery

seagulls 12:42 23 Apr 2004

Credit to Telewest. I was up and running on my new PC within minutes of registering tne new Mac address.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?