Installing SP2

Meshuga 16:29 26 Aug 2004

To any one as apprehensive as I was about installing sp2,dont be.Mine auto downloaded and I clicked on the install icon and it then did it all itself with the help of one or two clicks from me. Don`t worry if it appears to halt for a bit,it will go on. There does not appear to be any problems. My OS is XP Home.Meshuga.

ventanas 16:48 26 Aug 2004

So far 27 installations, and not one problem. I downloaded the full 256mb file first though, and installed from this.

Meshuga 17:08 26 Aug 2004

I didn`t have to download at all. An icon appeared in the task bar telling me it was downloaded and ready for installation. Meshuga.

anniesboy68 17:17 26 Aug 2004

I had an icon, clicked on it, nothing happened and now I can't find SP2 to download even on update site, so I'm waiting for it to appear on the PC advisor disk. Anybody any comments on this......

Meshuga 17:28 26 Aug 2004

It may reappear next time U bootup, Mine did every time I booted up until I decided to install.If not, wait for the disk. Regards, Meshuga.

anniesboy68 17:47 26 Aug 2004

Believe it or not, just been to the update site and there it is waiting to be downloaded.

Djohn 18:11 26 Aug 2004

Downloaded this afternoon 101MB took 45minutes on 512k, installed by itself sweet as a nut. :o)

Taw® 18:57 26 Aug 2004

Why the difference in download size mine was 95mb

CurlyWhirly 19:05 26 Aug 2004

There is a difference in size as SP2 only downloads the patches that you haven't got so in my case as ALL my security patches were UP TO DATE my download was only 75 mb.
By the way it installed flawlessly with NO conflicts and also NO programs appear to be giving me trouble (yet anyway) but mind you this is my first day of running it.
CW

Djohn 19:38 26 Aug 2004

My system was also up to date but the Microsoft site will scan and download only the files needed. So by downloading from the official site each persons requirements will vary slightly.

anniesboy68 20:02 26 Aug 2004

How can I download but not install straight away. Zone Labs say shut down ZA install SP2 and proceed etc then start up Zone Alarm

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?