Installing SP" Problem

R.C.M. 20:17 05 Mar 2006

I have tried to install SP2 twice today and both times it stopped installing after about 15 minutes and gave me a message which said access denied - could not load catalogue?

Anyone have an idea what I'm doing wrong?

VoG II 20:24 05 Mar 2006

Are you installing from Windows Update or a CD?

SANTOS7 20:24 05 Mar 2006

click here
open line 6 in table of contents hope this helps, good luck...

R.C.M. 20:36 05 Mar 2006

It was in my Windows update

R.C.M. 21:39 05 Mar 2006

Thanks for that I went onto Microsoft security page and it congradulated me for having SP2 on my computer? It also told me how to get the most from SP2?

If I right click my computer icon on the desktop - click on properties the system properties say I've got SP1?

Now totally confused.

PC Bilbo 21:59 05 Mar 2006

Try downloading free Advisor from click here
If you run it it will show all patches and updates on yr computer since install.

It's possible that if you have automatic updte enabled you will already have downloaded SP2.

R.C.M. 22:45 05 Mar 2006

That's the impression I'm getting as said above my system information tells me I've got SP1 and if I open install/uninstall programme PS2 is on the list?

I will try your link

R.C.M. 22:56 05 Mar 2006

I did mean SP2 in my last message - I tried to follow your link, but it would not respond?

Hertz Van Rentyl 23:28 05 Mar 2006

What colour are the movibg blocks on the windows startup screen

Stuartli 23:35 05 Mar 2006

If you have SP2 the Windows start up screen will just say Windows XP - neither Home nor Pro will be listed.

As you say, the General tab from My Computer>Properties will list SP2 if it is installed.

Belarc Advisor, mentioned earlier, will also list all SP3 updates (i.e. all those issued after SP2 was released in August 2004).

It also lists any Security Updates following a US government ruling for the requirement.

PC Bilbo 09:09 07 Mar 2006

R.C.M.

Sorry have been off air for a day. Try this link to Belarc Advisor click here

If you copy this link into yr browser it should take
you to download page.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone