installing second sata hdd

Desperate-Dan 09:55 03 Mar 2008

Hi, I want to install a second sata hdd but would like to know exactly what I doing before I start, my os winxp, mobo Asus M2V-MX, the power supply come with the case antec sonata lll 500, I have a samsung sata spinpoint already installed and would like to install another one, so I can transfer all my date over to the new drive and do a clean install of winxp

skylark101 10:31 03 Mar 2008

Nothing much to it! Just remember - (One sata drive per channel), no slave or master settings to worry about, just connect the data cable and power cable, and the system should auto-detect and away you go!

Desperate-Dan 11:00 03 Mar 2008

thanks for the prompt reply, excuse my ignorance but don't I have to format the drive first, doesn't there have be some sort of filing system on the new drive to receive the data coming from the main drive?

skylark101 12:06 03 Mar 2008

O.K. all you have to do now is to install Win Xp on your new drive, (shove in the installation disk, it should autorun, follow on-screen instructions to format as NTFS, partition the drive, (or leave as one extended partition). Once installation is complete, it should be designated drive letter E or F depending on your current configuration, transfer you data onto the new drive, format the original drive, repeat the installation process that you did on your new drive, on your old drive, and there you have your clean installation!

Desperate-Dan 18:14 03 Mar 2008

skylark101 thanks for trying to help but I think you got it wrong, I've been into other forums and no one has ever mentioned installing an OS on the second hdd, I've been told you just install it, winxp will recognize the new hdd, right click on my computer- manager- disk management both drives will show, format the new drive, done

Quiller. 19:20 03 Mar 2008

You are 100% correct in that you don't have to install the O\S on the new drive.

Check your manual or pop into the bios and see that raid isn't enabled, other wise it will just copy to the new drive. Also check that the SATA port you wish to use is enabled and that the boot priority is set for the first drive ( SATA port ).

Normally you can just plug them in and away you go. You can check if you want to be 100% sure.

To format the drive just right click my computer, pick manage and then disk management. Right click the space of the new drive and pick new partition. This will start the wizard and format the drive.

Desperate-Dan 19:59 03 Mar 2008

BSOD thanks for that, appreciated

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?