Installing a second SATA hard drive; boot issues

Verdani 03:44 12 Oct 2006

Hi,

I currently have one Maxtor 160Gb SATA hard drive in my system with my operating system installed. I have another identical hard drive that I'm attempting to install now, into the second of five available SATA ports on my MSI P965 Neo motherboard.

When I plug in the csecond hard drive, though, Windows will not boot. It gets to the Windows logo screen with the progress animation, but before even the animation can begin, it stops and the screen freezes. This does not fix itself with waiting.

My boot priorities are set to: DVD-ROM, CD-RW, hard risk. The hard disk priorities are also as they should be to my knowledge - although it can be tricky because when ordering, both disks have the same name. I have tried with either one on top of the list, and you cannot remove a drive from the list alltogether.

The SATA cable is in perfect condition.

When I plug the hard drive in when the system is already running, Windows will detect it and files can be written/read flawlessly. As soon as I restart, however, I run into the same issue.

I'm out of ideas at this point, I don't see any other options that need to be changed.

I'd appreciate any input you can offer - thanks in advance! :)

AndySD 05:16 12 Oct 2006

Sorry I cant help but it may be worth trying the msi forums click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:17 12 Oct 2006

Remember since it's serial you can only have one device per SATA port/cable so SATA drives don't have jumpers. On the Motherboard SATA1 Port is for the primary device, SATA2 port is for the secondary device etc.

you will need to make sure the PC is set to boot from the correct SATA drive. To do this make the first boot device SATA and check your Boot.ini paths.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?