installing second hdd

filthyphil 09:52 17 Jan 2007

i have just bought a 160Gb hdd to go as my second drive after my 80Gb, is there an easy way to do this without having to back up all my kids stuff to disks? as there is a lot of stuff on their accounts and an amazing amount of music?

Diemmess 10:23 17 Jan 2007

Installing the second HD is easy, the difficult bit is training your children ALWAYS to save their stuff to their own folders on the 2nd drive.

filthyphil 10:36 17 Jan 2007

if its easy is there a manual or routine for doing it? and will i need to install xp on it or will the pc do that automatically?

Diemmess 11:59 17 Jan 2007

No you don't need to install any operating system on the new hard disk to be able to use it as a store for data, but a new HD needs formatting before it is properly recognised.

If I understand your problem correctly. You have already installed the second HD and can see it in My Computer - you will see it as drive E: perhaps depending on what you have in CD or DVD drives.

Then create one or more new folders on this HD and name each appropriately "Kid 1" "Kid 2" or whatever.

Then whenever you need to save something, letter, picture or music, Save it but choose Save As and select the new folder on the 2nd HD as the place to save it.

Old data on the 80Gb (Drive C:) can be copied, or cut and pasted, or dragged to the new HD likewise and leave lots of lovely space on the older HD.

The new HD is a good place for regular backups, again into an appropriately named new folder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?