Installing a second hard drive and Windows 98

Dave7312 11:58 27 Feb 2006

My computer runs under Windows XP.
I wish to install a second hard drive.
I wish also to install Windows 98 onto that hard drive.
Information available re installing a second operating system requires that the Windows 98 OS is installed first and then the XP.
Windows XP was pre installed onto the computer when I bought it, so installing it after 98 would not be practical.
Questions
Would installing 98 onto the second hard drive overwrite some of XP or cause problems? If it is possible to do this without causing problems Would it be advisable to partition the second hard drive thereby isolating the two operating systems ?
Are there any other problems which might occur that I should be aware of.
Advice and assistance gratefully sought.
David

Newuser38 12:15 27 Feb 2006

click here have a read through these they might help. The Flecc on is especially good.

Newuser38 12:15 27 Feb 2006

click here have a read through these they might help. The Flecc one is especially good.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:19 27 Feb 2006

TRy

1. remove original HDD

2. fit new as master and install windows 98.

3. reset jumper to slave

4. refit old drive as master

5. Do a repair install of XP on origina drive

This should let XP see the windows 98 and reset the boot paths(boot.ini file). without losing any data.

Dave7312 12:45 27 Feb 2006

Fruit bat thanks for the info but a further query?
Please advise What is 'a repair install'
Also the instruction manual for the computer requires that the first (original) HD is put on the lower rack when installing a second HD. Do I then install W98 in the upper or lower rack and obviously with the first HD out of the computer?
Dave7312

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:25 27 Feb 2006

Install in the place of the old drive (as if single drive ) then swapp over when refitting your XP drive.

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

REpair XP
click here

griffon 56 14:27 27 Feb 2006

^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?