Installing Scanner

JAMSARNNIE 22:23 30 Nov 2004

can someone please help me? I am trying to install my scanner but I keep getting the message "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and MICROSOFT WINDOWS APPLICATIONS. Choose close to terminate this application ".
I would be grateful for any assistance on this, as far as sorting this sort of thing out I am a complete novice.
Thanks.
JAMSARNNIE

VoG II 22:28 30 Nov 2004

click here

Look to see if you have AUTOEXEC.NT in C:\windows\repair

If so, right click it, select copy. Navigate to C:\windows\system32 right click and select Paste. If not, follow the instructions in the "click here".

JAMSARNNIE 11:28 01 Dec 2004

Hi! VoG, thanks for the help, when I did as you said (First instructions) I at least got as far as the install window then another message popped up saying "setup is unable to run a program needed to proceed with the installation. restart your system and try again" this messeage appeared after I selected the language I wanted.
Many appologies for being a pain but is the anything you could add to your instructions?
JAMSARNNIE

jack 12:20 01 Dec 2004

This looks like you are running 2000/XP
and the Scanner is a 95/98 version.
Scanners have Firmware inside to rund the scan motors/imaging etc.,
Although some manufacturers offer upgrading services
[drivers/desktop controls etc.,] This has not always worked. - Christmas is weeks away and scanners are cheap.

Stuartli 13:40 01 Dec 2004

Check the manufacturer's website for the latest drivers, especially if you have XP.

Install the driver first, particularly if it's a USB scanner and then reboot; attach the scanner's USB lead and Windows should detect new hardware.

jack 13:55 01 Dec 2004

one more thing to try.
rghit click the scanner program.
At bottom of menu click on properties.
In properties click on Compatability.
In compatability click on 95/8

This allows XP to run 95/8 type progs - some times

JAMSARNNIE 21:48 08 Dec 2004

Thanks everyone for your help but I have given up and gone with jacks's suggestion and spent my Argos vouchers on a new one.
HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE.
JAMSARNNIE.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?