Installing SATA hard drives

terryf 04:50 03 Nov 2006

I have a Gigabyte GA-8I915G-MF mobo and due to a disk crash (it only lasted 7 years), I am doing a clean install of winxp pro sp2. I have SCSI CD drive and so started the install using 6 floppies. The 2 hard drives were connected using an IDE ribbon cable as master and slave. Winxp installed ok. I now wish to use the drives as SATA using Gigabyte ide to sata converters so that I can replace the scsi CD with a DVD burner which needs to be connected to ide. The problem is that even after automatically installing all drivers from the Gigabyte mobo CD, I can’t get the PC to recognise the drives in SATA mode. I have been into the bios but no recognition; I have tried C as ide and D as sata. I have set both drives to master for the sata connection, any suggestions please?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:13 03 Nov 2006

A little confused

1.You want to connect a SATA drive to you PC but it does not have sata sockets on the mobo?

2.You want to connect ide drives to the sata ports, is this your board?

I think you are going to have to do a repair install of XP and at the early prompt press F6 to load the sata / raid drivers.

terryf 10:39 03 Nov 2006

1. yes the mobo has sata and ide sockets
2 I have gigabyte ide to sata converters
I have read about pressing F6 but because I only have SCSI cd drive I install using floppies, I need sata drivers on a floppy but problem is I don't know where to download or find relevant files on gigabyte mobo CD to make a floppy that winxp install will recognise. Gigabyte site is not very useful, mobo manual simply says 'install the proper driver in order to work properly' but doesn't specify driver details.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:46 03 Nov 2006
  terryf 11:05 03 Nov 2006

Fruit Bat /\0/\
link was broken to giga asia but am downloading from giga us, will try this but it has promise in the title and I have an intel sata chip. Will report progress later

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:16 03 Nov 2006

Intel driver click here

terryf 11:27 03 Nov 2006

Fruit Bat /\0/No that driver does not work, installed it and near the end said 'we don't support this ID' carried on and rebooted but hd not detected. your second link was to the same place as the first. Not complaining just explaining. I have been googling, ended up at a Russian site but no dice. I have emailed gigabyte with problem, will see what they come up with when they wake up in Taiwan

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:34 03 Nov 2006
  terryf 12:00 03 Nov 2006

Thanks, been there, got the T-shirt

James. 13:07 03 Nov 2006

click here does this help

terryf 13:17 03 Nov 2006

James.
Thanks,looks promising, will try after lunch, new install and F6 this floppy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?