Installing Program - Close down all applications?

clock 11:44 01 Jan 2006

I got Family Tree Maker for Christmas but before I install it the disc asks me to "close down all applications", - is this really necessary please? I have downloaded other Programs in the past without closing everything down, maybe I have just been lucky?

User Manual says "from desktop, press Ctrl + Alt + Delete," which brings up Windows Task Manager then "Choose the Applications tab. It displays a list of all programs that are currently running" (Presumably Spyware, Norton etc?) "Select any program listed and then click End Task, repeat to close all programs. When empty, - from File Menu choose Exit Task Manager".

Sounds a bit frightening! But I am a very nervous silver surfer!! Should I just do as above and start to enjoy the Program??

Clock

jagx400 11:50 01 Jan 2006

I have ever shut down all programs, certainly not my Antivirus and firewall and never had problems. I have even installed while burning a cd and been OK, I aint no expert maybe our more knowledgable members can comment

PaulB2005 11:54 01 Jan 2006

Start the PC up and then just install it. It just means don't have loads of other programs running at the same time. As long as you have just started the PC then you should be ok.

PaulB2005 11:54 01 Jan 2006

Start the PC up and then just install it. It just means don't have loads of other programs running at the same time. As long as you have just started the PC then you should be ok.

kro 12:08 01 Jan 2006

"from desktop, press Ctrl + Alt + Delete," which brings up Windows Task Manager then Choose the "Applications" tab

If you do this it wont show your AV, firewall etc. They will only show in processes. Applications shows the programs you are actually running such as IE, media players, games etc.

jack 12:11 01 Jan 2006

It depends on the nature of the program that is being installed.
For example a printer with variuos side programs and its driver will advise/require any A/V programs to be turned off.

Now a Family tree maker may be[I dont know] one of those [programs - like an encyclopdie/education program thad loads an 'Engine' and then operates with a disc in the drive to access the data-
That could require that the system be clear to get a clean install -
Which ever way - it does no harm to have a clear system.
The easy to to do this is to install ssomething like
'End it All' from Ziff Davis Inc.

clock 12:14 01 Jan 2006

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll just go ahead and install the disc and enjoy sorting my family tree!!

Happy New Year to everyone,

Clock

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017