Installing Orange Livebox

Hercules02 23:19 01 Sep 2007

Hello
I have been trying to install this for a week, to upgrade my Orange broadband connection. I cant get my PC to communicate with the Livebox over a network cable.
I have the Gigabyte GA-7VRXP board which has the Realtek 8139RTL/810x LAN on board.
Orange tell me that the LAN must be faulty and I dont know how to check this. If I provide an Internet address manually in the TCP/IP settings then Windows XP has the network as status "connected". Without this "little or no connectivity".
How can I verify the operation of my lan?
I think that the Livebox must have a fault, although the status lights don't indicate this.
Please can anyone help ?
This is driving me potty :o))

johndrew 12:31 02 Sep 2007

Have you looked here click here to see if there is anything that will help? There are lots of articles and also details of error checking and various incompatibility problems.

There is specific help for the setting up of a wired livebox click here.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:49 02 Sep 2007

1, In device manager check that under Network adators the Ethernet adaptor is not showing an exclamtion mark.

If this is OK then click Start RUN - type in services .msc press OK. scroll down to DHCP client and then DNS client check that both have started.
Also check Network connections has started.

Hercules02 13:16 02 Sep 2007

Thanks folks
Fruit Bat - Yes both those services have started. Device manager says the network adaptor is OK. I found someone else you helped with a full list of services I will check these out as well.
John - will check out your links thanks

Hercules02 17:06 02 Sep 2007

I checked out all the services in Fruit bats list (thread entitled "Livebox still us") and my PC still wont connect to the livebox. The only one that wasnt running was the RPC location.
Is there any independent way to check that my LAN is working normally ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:57 02 Sep 2007

STart - settings - network connection - Lan Area connection - support

Should read Assigned by DHCP
IP adress 192.168.1.xxx
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway 192.168.1.1

general - properties -general tab - configure - power management ... untick Allow the computer to turn off.

general - properties -general tab - highlight TCIP/IP
properties - Make sure obtain an IP address Automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically are both ticked.

Jak_1 20:49 02 Sep 2007

you may also need to use the default un & pw too which is 'admin' without the quotes.

Jak_1 20:53 02 Sep 2007

ps. They tried to tell me my network card was faulty too the next time they said the modem could be faulty and they'd send a new one but then after a couple of weeks where I was busy I tried again, spoke to tech and he got me up and running in 5 mins using the admin passes. There is apparently a known problem with the server not recognising peoples un & passes whn trying to conect the livebox for the first time. The admin passes override that and sorts things.I've not had a problem since.

Hercules02 21:51 02 Sep 2007

Fruit Bat
there is no support option in Lan Area Connection, just General, Authentication and Advanced. None of these have an option that you describe. My op sys is XP by the way. The Authentication is enabled and refers to certificates, but no certificate is selected. Is this part of the problem ?
Jak
I havent been able to make a connection to enter any username and password into the livebox, or the server page.

Seth Haniel 09:44 03 Sep 2007

don't know if connected - but Orange are having problems with email and there is a page on their site that they know about the problem and are working on it -
i've been trying for a week to get email account and same message pops up -and email sent to orange address bounces straight back ;(

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:58 03 Sep 2007

General tab and support tab on first page BEFORE you select properties on FIRST general tab.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?