Installing Office Home & Student over Office 2007

delboy27sbc 07:54 31 Aug 2008

My Sony Vaio came pre-loaded with a 60 day free trial of Office 2007. As I preferred to use the cheaper Office Home & Student I uninstalled Office 2007 and tried to load Home & Student. All appeared OK except for some error messages which kept popping up about wrong versions(?) I have now uninstalled Home and Office and restored the laptop to where it was AFTER unistalling Office 2007, so I now have no office on there. Before I attempt to re-install Home & Student, I wondered if I should delete the other two Office programs listed in the "add & remove programs" list in Control Panel. They are Office 2007 Primary Interop Assemblies and Small Business Connectivity Components. I am in limbo at the moment so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. ps: I created a Restore Point before all this fiddling around. If I reset the pc to that restore point, would the uninstalled Office re-appear?

100andthirty 08:18 31 Aug 2008

1) I don't have experience installing and uninstalling Office 2007
2) it is normal good practice to eliminate as many traces of an uninstalled programme as possible, so I would go ahead and uninstall the components you suggested
3) then try Home and Student
4) restore points are there to keep the operating system in good order; if you unistall thrid party programmes (and Office is one of these) or you delete a data file, these are not brought back by a system restore.

delboy27sbc 08:35 31 Aug 2008

Thanks for that. I am just a bit worried that uninstalling "2003 Web Components", "2007 Primary Interop Assemblies" and "Small Business Connectivity Components" might affect other programs and it will then be too late to go back. There were no discs with the laptop so one things are unistalled I am "stuffed".

ambra4 14:34 31 Aug 2008

First download this program and remove ALL trail ware programs and all other programs that you don’t want

click here

McAfee free trial, Office 2007, Google Desktop, AOL, Side Bar, Norton Free Trial etc

Try OpenOffice Suite it is compatibly with Microsoft Office and will open Word, Excel files

click here

ambra4 14:43 31 Aug 2008

Sorry about that OpenOffice Suite download

click here

delboy27sbc 21:38 02 Sep 2008

I have deleted these programs now and installed Office Home and Student edition. All works ok except for an error message when starting each program telling me that office applications do not match.
I contacted Microsoft and they advised me to uninstall Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2007 SP1.
When I tried to do that it came up with two programs: Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2007 and SQL Server 2005 Express (MSSMLBIZ)

It prevented me deleting the first one but I managed to delete the SQL server bit. Word and Excel now open fine but I am a bit worried that I shouldn't have uninstalled the SQL Server program. Anyone know if it will have and adverse effects.

ronalddonald 08:36 05 Sep 2008

you use outlook for emails it may have a knock affect. You could try reinstalling the outlook and configuring it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?