Installing New Video Card

Tom2943 17:02 24 Nov 2007

Hi,

I am using a Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo P, and I have just bought a new Inno3D 8600GT. However, upon taking the PC apart, I cannot see where to install the card. Can anyone please reccommend a website to help, or give any tips?

Thanks

MAJ 17:16 24 Nov 2007

Is this it click here Tom2943? If so it has a PCI Express interface, you'll need a full size PCI Express expansion slot on your motherboard. click here

Gongoozler 17:21 24 Nov 2007

What socket slots does your computer have? According to the spec I have found, you should have 1 PCI Express x16, 1 AGP x8 and 3 PCI. Your Inno3D 8600GT should fit in the PCI Express x16. It's possible that this position is shared with another slot - perhaps the AGP one. The PCI Express x16 slot will be a different colour from the others, possibly black.

Tom2943 17:23 24 Nov 2007

Thank you, that seems right - so would I need to buy a PCI to PCIe Expansion? Is this possible? I'm sorry, my computer knowledge doesn't amount to much.

Tom2943 17:25 24 Nov 2007

Sorry, ignore the above post - I did not refresh before I replied, and did not see Gonzooler's reply. Those specs are probably right, and I do see a black slot which may or may not fit the card - however, the slot is in the middle of the PC, and there are no gaps through which the video card could connect to the monitor.

Gongoozler 17:26 24 Nov 2007

I'm pretty sure that your Inno3D 8600GT is a PCI-E card, so it should fit the PCI-E slot on your motherboard - no conversion needed.

Gongoozler 17:28 24 Nov 2007

Place the card against the slot. The back of the case should have a push-out section that will expose a space for the graphics card bracket.

Tom2943 17:33 24 Nov 2007

Sorry, I'm obviously thinking of something completely different - the only slots I saw in the position at the back of the PC, with the push-out slots were PCI slots. Is there any way of picking up a cheap and easy to use converter, or is this not possible?

MAJ 17:40 24 Nov 2007

Can you, if you have a digital camera, post a pcture of your motherboard?

Tom2943 17:47 24 Nov 2007

I do, but having checked it out earlier and now being able to recognise the PCIE slot I can confirm there's no PCI Express slots anywhere near the back of the PC. The only other slot is about two the length of a PC slot, attached to the motherboard. What could this be?

Gongoozler 17:49 24 Nov 2007

Can you put a picture of the back of your computer, preferably one each from the inside and from outside the computer here on ImageShack, and then post a link to it click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone