Installing new software

VCR97 20:05 17 Jun 2004

When installing new software I am usually told to close all other programs. Do I really need to close my firewall and AV programs? I have gone back on-line a couple of times having forgotten to reopen them.

VoG II 20:08 17 Jun 2004

I usually don't close anything unless told to close a specific program (tut, tut!).

Some programs won't install with A/V running though. You should be able to leave firewall running.

Fruit Bat 20:08 17 Jun 2004

you only need to close programs with open windows.
Usually a good idea to keep virus checker working and I never switch off the firewall unless suffering from a major problem.

/\0/\

Dorsai 20:45 17 Jun 2004

if my firewall goes off the PC shortly follows.....

then the phone line gets unplugged till i can get the firewall back up..call me paranoid if you want
but it works for me.

jack 20:58 17 Jun 2004

Virus checker and Firewall need only be ON if you are actually on line all the time [Broadband!]

If you are not on line you wont be zapped.
It is a good idea to shut down all operations whilst software in installing, other wise there is the potential for a conflict ,as installing files try to enter registers that are active.
There is a program =freeware I think called EndIt All- this turns off everything in one hit.
Try a Web search for it.
J

GaT7 21:01 17 Jun 2004

I'm with jack on this one. I always close everything & after installing restart my PC (even if it doesn't prompt to do so). On restart everything is up & running normally again. Read somewhere that they're the IDEAL few things to do when installing new software. Never have a problem. G

Old Shep 21:03 17 Jun 2004

End it all click here you will have to reboot your computer after installing software to restart these tasks.

canute44 21:39 17 Jun 2004

EndItAll needs to be treated with some caution. It usually crashes my Windows Me whereas using Control-Alt-Delete closes everything with only rare problems. Perhaps it's me!

VCR97 20:51 18 Jun 2004

There seems to be a slight divergence of opinion! It's given me something to think about. Thanks for taking the trouble to respond.

Tinkey Winkey 23:07 18 Jun 2004

Enditall looks very useful but doesn't seem to be available from the links I've tried.

Anyone know of any active download links for enditall please ?

Clint2 00:03 19 Jun 2004

End it all version 1 and version 2 seems to be available click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone