Installing new mouse on laptop

Earthsea 22:14 15 Jul 2007

I've got a new optical mouse for my laptop and the installation instructions tell me to uninstall my old one first, which is the touchpad, but when I do this Windows tells me to reboot to finish the uninstallation and then installs it again when it boots up. There's no option to disable it so I can't use my new mouse which seems to install but doesn't do anything. Help!

Laptop is Sony VGN-FS115Z with XP, mouse is Technika.

Stuartli 23:28 15 Jul 2007

In Device Manager>Mouse>Properties, are you able to Disable the touchpad in the drop down menu?

If you can, and then reboot with the optical mouse connected (you say you have already installed the drivers), Windows should Find New Hardware.

roy 23:31 15 Jul 2007

I am surprised that you need to un-install the touchpad as my wife often plugs a usb optical mouse into her laptop and it just works, xp or vista.

I really don't like the idea of removing a touchpad. Do you mean the drivers or in Device Manager?

Earthsea 23:51 15 Jul 2007

Stuartli, I can't find an option to disable it anywhere.

roy, in Device Manager I uninstall the mouse driver from the right click menu. Does your wife's laptop run the touchpad and mouse together? I thought that was what would happen on mine. The drivers for both appear in Device Manager but the mouse doesn't work, although they are both apparently 'working properly'.

gel 07:05 16 Jul 2007

I agree with 'roy' I have lap top (Dell) bought a optical mouse Plugged in and some times I use touchpad and or mouse
gel

rawprawn 07:16 16 Jul 2007

I have a VGN AR 31E and have no problems. I do not need to uninstall the pad, I just plug in the USB and thats it.
There is an excellent VAIO Forum at
click here it is worth registering and asking any questions about your Sony there.

Stuartli 10:42 16 Jul 2007

Another option is to uninstall the drivers already installed for the optical mouse, reboot and see if Windows will Find New Hardware using its own mouse drivers (leave the optical mouse connected in this case when rebooting).

I occasionally use my best mate's Dell laptop which has one of those strange joysticks - as I detest it I plug in a spare mouse of my own but, in this case, it's a corded rodent. Works fine.

pj123 12:18 16 Jul 2007

I have used an ordinary wired PS2 optical mouse on a laptop with no problems. Can also still use the mousepad as well and with a "Y" adapter have also plugged a PS2 keyboard in.

The Old Mod 12:41 16 Jul 2007

Hi, I have a Sony laptop, I use a wireless optical mouse, and have never dreamed of uninstalling the touchpad!

Earthsea 14:50 16 Jul 2007

Thanks everyone. Am I right in thinking I should just be able to plug it in? Perhaps it could be a problem with the mouse. When I go to Control Panel>Mouse the Mouse Properties are for the touchpad. The red light underneath the mouse isn't on all the time either, is this normal? It doesn't work whether it's on or not anyway.

Earthsea 17:23 16 Jul 2007

Problem solved - it needed new batteries!

Strange because I used the ones that came with it (Moon Rabbit!). It was made in China so they were probably pretty old by the time I got it.

Thanks again for the feedback. You helped narrow down the problem considerably :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?