Installing a new motherboard

loser7 20:10 31 Aug 2007

I am replacing a motherboard and cpu in a pc, with 2 hard drives full of important data and i have been told that i must install a new operating system on one of the drive for them to be able to work on this pc. Is there a way i could fit the board and plug everything in and use the operating system already on one of the HD's or will i have to install a new one?

csqwared 20:20 31 Aug 2007

Don't think you will have to install a new operating ststem. If you're using WinXP you will most likely have to re-validate the OS with MS.

Cheers

LABMAN 20:23 31 Aug 2007

I'm afriad you will have to reinsatll an operating system to get your PC to work.

I'm not sure of the exact technical reasons but apparently the operating system recognises which motherboard and other critical hardware were present when it was installed and if this changes it just wont load.

The other thing is if your using windows XP for instance and it's an OEM version it techncally dies with the motherboard it was first installed on and may or may not reactivate on your new board.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but mayby an entirely new PC may be a better option if slightly more expensive.

howard64 20:45 31 Aug 2007

if you have the xp cd try booting from it and then take the option to repair the installation. If you are lucky it will go through and set up for your new mobo. You have nothing to lose doing this.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:59 31 Aug 2007

Probably won't boot due to wrong motherboard drivers.

try booting to safe mode then remove drivers
Drivers to disable BEFORE changing motherboard
click here

before rebooting and installing the drivers that come with your new board.

mrwoowoo 21:00 31 Aug 2007

with howard64 on this.occasionally you can get away with a repair but most of the time it's a reformat job.

loser7 13:37 01 Sep 2007

Ok thanks for all your help on this one. I will try these and let you know how i get on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?