Installing new modem/router

Carafaraday 15:41 08 Jul 2008

I am about to replace my Voyager 210 adsl router with a DLink DSL-2640 wireless one. The instructions from the internet provider (Madasafish) state that 'If you're replacing an existing broadband modem, it must be unplugged from your line and uninstalled from your computer.' Obviously I understand that I need to disconnect the old modem, but does it really need to be uninstalled from the computer? Just in case I mess up the installation of the wireless one, I would prefer to keep the option of returning to the old one if necessary.
Any comments on this would be most welcome.

Ditch999 16:06 08 Jul 2008

If the 210 was connected via ethernet then there are no drivers installed. The only thing to uninstall would be any connection software you put on with the 210 and I would recommend removing that.

nosharpe 16:07 08 Jul 2008

You don't need to uninstall the software for the old modem.

crosstrainer 16:08 08 Jul 2008

They are referring to physically disconnection :)

They just want you to unplug the existing modem / router from your pc, and wall socket phone connection.

If you are concerned about settings, you can back them up (using the old equipments' login screen, password etc)

Nearly all router / modem's retain their settings when powered off anyway.

Carafaraday 16:09 08 Jul 2008

It's connected to pc by USB not ethernet (ethernet to laptop) - I don't think I installed software but it's a while ago so I may have done - I think I did it all from a CD.

crosstrainer 16:14 08 Jul 2008

You can obtain the new settings for your modem from your ISP (they are all different)

click here

Get the new settings, save them as a document, and then you will be ready to install your new kit.

Carafaraday 16:18 08 Jul 2008

crosstrainer - many thanks. I have downloaded the help pages and saved them to my desktop for future reference. The new wireless thingie is in the post, so I'm just trying to prepare myself before it arrives............I'm a bit nervous.

crosstrainer 16:33 08 Jul 2008

It's daunting if you have not done it before...But help is alway's at hand here if you should run into difficulty.

Your new kit will come with a manual, and armed with that and the required settings, you should have no problems at all.

Carafaraday 16:36 08 Jul 2008

Many thanks, crosstrainer. A wee bit of reassurance is all I'm needing, I think.

Carafaraday 16:55 09 Jul 2008

All done and dusted despite minor glitch caused by windows update conflicting with Zonealarm - thank goodness someone had already mentioned the problem on this forum earlier today - and having to change the channel(?) as there was conflict with some other wireless stuff in the house.
Thank you to everyone for their encouragement.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?