Installing a new modem (Router)

Sparkly 14:26 23 Jul 2006

Hi guys i have been using the internet with BT Yahoo, i am connected to the web via a speedtouch adsl usb modem.BT have just sent me a new modem a Voyager 220V wired modem as a free upgrade could you tell me is it best to first uninstall the speedtouch modem and the bt connection software before i install the new software that came with the new modem incase there is a conflict or do you think it will sort itself out during the installation.
Thanks

ade.h 14:41 23 Jul 2006

Is this actually just a modem, not a router? Routers do not install and do not use software of any kind. Some routers are supplied with a CD-based setup wizard, which some people misconstrue as installation software.
If this device *is* a router, then you just plug it in and access its config via its IP address.

Sparkly 15:10 23 Jul 2006

Hi ade.h on the box it says BT Voyager 220V Router the paperwork/manual that came with it tells me
Please do not connect any of the voyagers cables untill prompted by the installation CD Rom. That was what i was trying to get my head around (whether i should i uninstall the original modem and software first.)

ed-0 15:21 23 Jul 2006

The 220v is a 1 Port ADSL Modem Router
(Non-Wi-Fi enabled).

I'm fairly sure it's no. Just run the cdrom and follow the on screen instructions. click here

If I am wrong and it doesn't work. Just do a system restore and un-install the original software.

Sparkly 16:12 23 Jul 2006

Thanks for your input guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?