Installing new internal DVD player/burner

Gateway 11:50 03 Jan 2005

My system currently includes an internal cd r/rw and a dvd rom. I would like to trade out the dvd rom for a new internal dvd r/rw to enable me to store video editing output, system backups etc. Is this process a matter of just unplugging the old dvd player, plugging in the new unit and letting the wizard do the rest? - or is it more complicated than that? Help.

ACOLYTE 11:59 03 Jan 2005

Just about what you said but i would make the dvd burner the master and the cd/rw the slave.

pj123 12:05 03 Jan 2005

Same as ACOLYTE has said. Except I would exchange it for the CD/RW and not the DVD Rom drive. A DVD burner will also burn CDs. I have a DVD Rom and a DVD burner. Plus you may also have to update your burning software to include DVD, unless, of course the DVD burner came with software.

stuntmaster 12:22 03 Jan 2005

on that subject, i bought a DVD-RW from pc world, £40 to be exact Emprex 8x Dual (can support dual layer i think, if you do a firmware update), it did come with screws, cables, nero 6 reloaded OEM (still good as it burns everything), and it came with Cyberlink Dvd solution (power dvd, power producer, and [email protected]), id say go for this drive, as its clear to install, works, quiet, and very fast. 40x40x24 CD-ROM,CD-R,CD-RW and 12x8x4 DVD-ROM+,DVD-R+,DVD-RW+ and also! 12x4x4 DVD-ROM-,DVD-R-,DVD-RW- it also supports all writing methods as well, and lets say all my cd's + dvd's have burnt successfully.

oh yeah two more things, 1. has a seccond faceplate for a black case, and has website click here to download a software called liveupdate, this updates the firmware automatically as well.
id say £40 well spent even as its RETAIL as well!

ben

Gateway 19:33 06 Jan 2005

Thanks guys

Gateway 21:40 19 Jan 2005

On trying to use new DVD burner I get the messages:

Master has caused an error in MASTER.EXE. Master will now close. or

Install has caused an error in INSTALL.EXE. Install will now close.

Also DVDs no longer autorun. Is this a master/slave problem or something more sinister?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?