Installing new hard drive with WIN XP

nobbyhigo 18:28 09 Jan 2004

I had bother with win 98se and was told by engineer i need a new hard drive and at the same time i might as well put WIN XP on. i bought XP and a new hard drive can someone tell me if when i install the hard drive will i be able to install XP straight away or if not what do i need to do to get up and running
thanks in advance
nobby

billyliv 18:44 09 Jan 2004

Hi, Instal your new drive as Master or Stand Alone (As some makers call it). Re-boot, your new drive should be auto detected, if not you weill have to go into your BIOS to set it to auto. While you are in BIOS set your 'First Boot Up Sequence to CD/ROM. Put your XP disc in the CD/ROM and follow the instructions. Good Luck, Bill

leo49 18:50 09 Jan 2004

Before you install XP you must prepare the new HDD by formatting it. If you go to website of your HDD manufacture,most of them have a small utility for you to download and install to a floppy[by doubleclicking the downloaded .exe and following onscreen instructions]. If you bought a retail pack HDD this floppy may well be in the box.

Assuming you have a Full XP CD.

Physically install the HDD and set the bios to boot from floppy with the formatting utility in the drive and follow the onscreen instructions. Once done,set your bios to boot from CDrom,bung the XP disc in the drive and follow this guide.

click here

Rayuk 18:54 09 Jan 2004

No need to format hard drive first you will get the option to partition and format during WinXP installation

leo49 19:01 09 Jan 2004

You live and learn.

nobbyhigo 19:06 09 Jan 2004

the hard drive is a maXtor 80 gb thats going in and i have the win xp home edition does that make any diffence to formatting or the like
much obliged for your response chaps
NOBBY

Djohn 19:11 09 Jan 2004

Nope! just connect the hard drive and it should be recognised. The size will show as 76.3mb. Set your CD drive as first boot, insert the XP Cd and follow instructions. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?