Installing new hard disk

donki 16:26 26 Oct 2006

Ok guys installing a new hard disk wot do i do??

I currently have a 250GB and would like another one. I want to keep my programs and OS on one and all my media on there other, is this possible?

Are there different configarations I can have them in and wot are the pors and cons.

Thanking you all in advance.

TicTacToc 16:32 26 Oct 2006

Its not difficult to attach another hard drive, and just copy and paste your media over.

Pros:

More space on original HD.
Is likely to load the media quicker to open if your other hard drie was quite full or slow.

Cons:

Might make your case more cramped.
Costs money to buy the new hd.

That's kinda in simple terms.

donki 16:43 26 Oct 2006

Does the second drive need to be the same size as oridginal one?

bjh 16:54 26 Oct 2006

OR... when you install the new disk, make a clone of your old disk on it, and you can boot either hard disk. Make a large partition on your new disk, use this as a storage area, but you retain the second drives ability to boot. Great for disaster moments when you realise you have $$%£@ up you operating system well & good!

bjh 16:56 26 Oct 2006

Should point out, most oem drives don't come with the cloning software, but a quick lurch by Google to the manufacturer's site should give you that. It's important to use the software supplied by preferably the new drive manufacturer, or the old drive at a pinch.

ed-0 17:00 26 Oct 2006

" Does the second drive need to be the same size as original one? "

No.

If you want to fit an internal hard drive, you will have to see what you have at the moment. You can download, free, diagnostic programmes that will tell you what you have in your machine. Although the easiest way is to open the computer and have a quick look. Looking at a couple of leads will tell you if your computer can take an extra drive.

Most hard drives in computers are known as IDE hard drives. The other internal option you may have is a SATA hard drive.

ps

As you want to still boot off your master hard drive. there would be no need to clone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?