Installing a new graphics card

steamboat 00:39 11 Feb 2003

I would like to install a new graphics card it doesn't matter if its a agp or pci my problem is the existing card is built into the motherboard. How do I disable it, and do I disable it before I install the new card or after it has been installed. Is it disabled through the bios settings. Could you name me a decent graphics for around £100.00.

Tog 08:10 11 Feb 2003

There should be a BIOS setting to disable onboard graphics.

The only time I have done this was with an AGP card. I changed the graphics driver to standard VGA, shut down, installed the new one, then changed the BIOS as it booted for the first time. I then followed the manufacturer's installation instructions for the new card.

The newer generation of cards aren't my forté, so please...

Post your system specs so the hardware gurus know what they're dealing with.

e.g. Processor type and speed, Memory size, Motherboard make and model, AGP type supported

Make sure you don't buy a new card that needs a higher spec than you currently own unless you plan to upgrade again very soon.

hugh-265156 09:13 11 Feb 2003

i had onboard graphics until a few months ago.i spent £80 on a hercules radeon 9000 128mb card.although i should have got the pro version.i had no problems fitting it.just go to device manager check under display devices to see if your current adapter is listed right click and disable.turn off the pc.slot in the new card.when you turn on(im assuming you have xp)it will detect the new card and try and search for new drivers.i would select cancel and get the latest drivers from the manufactures website as these will be more up to date than the ones that came with the card.hope it all goes well for you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?