Installing new graphics card

JoE. 17:00 30 Dec 2006

We recently ordered this graphics card click here , a Radeon 7000. It fitted nicely into a brown slot, just above 3 others on the motherboard, I believe this is right (not that I'd know otherwise). Turned on the PC, tried to load up The Sims 2 Pets, which we had got the card for to try and make it work, and up comes an error message, something along the lines of 'there is no DirectX9.0 compatible driver found on this system' or words to that effect. I'm stumped as they say. Help?

JoE :o)

brundle 17:02 30 Dec 2006

ATI drivers latest; click here
It is usually recommended to go offline and temporarily disable your anti-virus software when installing NVidia graphics drivers, I don't know if the same applies for ATI but worth checking.

DirectX9 (probably installed with Sims2 anyway) click here

Stuartli 17:05 30 Dec 2006

See:

click here

I use the ATi Tray Tools rather than the Catalyst drivers (I just have the basic ATi graphics driver), as they are small in comparison yet just as efficient.

The 7000 isn't a particularly outstanding card, so don't expect miracles with it...:-)

Totally-braindead 17:14 30 Dec 2006

The others are right. What Windows will have done is installed a standard driver rather than the driver for the graphics card you have. Once you have installed the proper ATI drivers it should work fine. Looking at the minimum specification for the graphics you more than meet it but as pointed out the 7000 is an old card and I notice the recommended is a 9800 pro. So it will run but you may have to try turning some of the settings down. You'll only find this out by trying it and see how well it runs.
Install the drivers first of course. You may even have them on the disk you got with the card.

JoE. 17:40 30 Dec 2006

I forwarded all advice to my mum who is more patient at things like these than I, and graphics card and game are now working like a charm. Once again the forum gives a lifeline to the technically challenged!

JoE :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?