Installing New Fonts

Graphicool1 16:43 30 May 2010

Does anyone know anything about installing new fonts. I've done it before - a long time ago - without any problems.

WinXP SP3

I found a site that has fonts for free...click here? I downloaded the ones I wanted, unzipped and tried to install (no install file). Tried dragging and dropping the zipped file to the Windows Font file, it said...'Windows Font Folder, unable to install the font file, it is either invalid or damaged' I've looked on the site and other people seem to be installing it without problems. What am I doing wrong.
I've tried fonts from other sites, with the same results.

T0SH 16:51 30 May 2010

Try putting this in help & support

Add a new font to your computer

Cheers HC

BT 16:55 30 May 2010

You say you are dragging and dropping the ZIPPED file, surely you mean the UNZIPPED one.

When you have unzipped it double click on the resultant file and it should open up to show the font. If so this is the one to drag and drop into the Windows font file. Sometimes when you unzip you get more than one file so make sure you have the right one.

bremner 16:56 30 May 2010

C:/Windows/Fonts

Click on File > Istall New Font and point it at your unzipped files

rawprawn 17:02 30 May 2010

You can also drag and drop the new Fonts into "Fonts" in the Control Panel

Diemmess 17:03 30 May 2010

Make a new folder somewhere handy, call it anything you like.

Exract the unzipped font/s to this folder.

Open My Computer click on C:/Windows

Open Windows - scroll to Fonts
Open Fonts - click File (dropdown)

Select Add new font
Select the new folder from the drive where you made it, and click on its name.
Your new fonts should be listed.

Click OK, job done

Sea Urchin 17:10 30 May 2010

Yes, works fine for me - but as said above you must install the UNzipped file - the one with the extension .ttf

Graphicool1 17:52 30 May 2010

I haven't tried that yet, I'll give it a look.

BT
When I tried dragging and dropping the the UNzipped contents of the file, nothing happened at all and neither did it when I tried copy and paste.

bremner
That's what I did first, no joy.

rawprawn
Thanks for pointing out the shortcut to 'C:/Windows/Fonts' However, dragging and dropping the files from the unzipped file doesn't add them.

Thanks to everyone for their prompt reply and suggestions. But the suggestion made by Diemmess - although I didn't actually use his/your method - it pointed me in the right direction. Enabling me to see the problem.

When I originally unzipped the file I'd downloaded, I noted that the icon of 'TTF' file it contained, didn't look the same as the ones in the 'Font' file? They all appeared as a small sheet of paper with either a 'TT' or 'O' on. Whereas the zip file didn't have any letter's? So I opened the folder 'FREE FONTS' that I'd downloaded the zipped files to. Unzipped them, they opened in another windows, where upon I dragged and dropped them back to the original 'FREE FONTS' folder. Where their appearance immeadiately changed to identically resemble the TTF files in the FONTS folder. I was them able to merely drag and drop them into the Fonts folder. Solved.

Thanks again guys, I couldn't have done it without you or a least it would have taken me a lot longer and perhaps a fluke or two. G1 ¦¬]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017