installing mouse

ginger103 21:03 01 Nov 2005

DESK TOP PC OS XP home SP2. Since i had a crash a week ago in which various items have gone missing off my pc i have not been able to use any mice except micro soft,i can install logitech and another types into my programes but they will not work or appear in Device manager.The only drivers it will pick up on are microsoft.The same items will work fine in other pc.s.
can anyone help

Diodorus Siculus 21:15 01 Nov 2005

click here
scannow sfc - how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker).

This is a useful tool to run when you can.

Strawballs 23:55 01 Nov 2005

Go to command prompt and type in sfc /scannow with your windows disc in the drive

ginger103 15:14 03 Nov 2005

i have just got back .
thank you diadorus and stawballs . ref sfc /scannow
i have done as suggested the window came up to tell me it is checking it then stated it was checking if all files were ok.
i waited with bated breath 1 hour later still nothing. is it supposed to tell you if it is ok or not .?????

Splork 17:06 03 Nov 2005

It will tell you if there are files that need replacing, otherwise it's not very communicative.
Boot in Safe Mode (hit F8 a few times before the XP logo), look in Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager for any problem devices (red or yellow markers) or duplicated PS2 entries under "Mice and pointing devices". Was there software for another mouse installed before the crash? It may be damaged and blocking the addition of the default drivers.

ginger103 19:11 03 Nov 2005

Hi splork
i checked the device manager and there are no problem devices shown.
no duplicated PS/2 devices.
before the crash i had logtech cordless mouse in the device manager.After the crash the logitech had dissappeared from the device manager it was still in my program files.I uninstalled the program used CCLEANER then reinstalled the logitech.I t went into my program files but it did not appear in the device manager and the mouse would not work.
Now the only mice that work are microsoft.
I tried all my other mice[logitech/silvercrest etc] on other computers and they all work

Splork 19:19 03 Nov 2005

Do other mice work in safe mode? Did the wireless receiver plug into your mouse port or USB?

ginger103 21:34 03 Nov 2005

Hi splork
the wireless mouse workede in either mouse port or usb. At time of the crash it was in the usb.
I will be quite honest i am a bit worried about using safe mode so i do not no if they will.
Can i get back out of safe mode easily without cocking up my PC??

Splork 21:42 03 Nov 2005

Safe mode is er...safe...it just mucks up your icons sometimes. The PC will boot normally if left untouched, it's only if there is an actual problem it will fall back to Safe Mode on it's own. You could try removing your USB devices in Device Manager - all USB Root Hub entries mainly, let Windows reinstate them upon the next bootup. And select View/Show Hidden Devices in Device Manager too.

Splork 21:57 03 Nov 2005

I realise you said only Microsoft hardware is detected but have a look at this anyway click here

ginger103 22:11 03 Nov 2005

thank you splork for your time and trouble you have given me something to try i will start on it tomorrow. I will let you no if i suceed or fail.
Thanks again
roy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?