Installing Longhorn

inneedofhelp 14:42 24 May 2004

hello, I managed to get my hands on longhorn and treid to install it last night. I created a partition just for it, formated using the NTFS file system. The setup prog starts fine, it then restarts the pc and comes up with "loading setup enviroment', then the longhorn logo appears quite dull and should get brighter, however it just remains dull. Any ideas

Sir Radfordin 14:47 24 May 2004

Given that Longhorn is not on general release I'd say what you are trying to do is illegal. There could be any number of reasons why it doesn't function from hardware incompatabilities to copyright control.

Djohn 15:06 24 May 2004

You certainly are! Sorry for the play on your username. ;o)

Longhorn is not due for release until 2006 so I think that any version you have at the moment will be a test version and most likely still full of teething problems. Sorry I can't help with this but very few people have even seen a copy let alone used one. j.

€dstowe 15:06 24 May 2004

There may well be copies of this O/S around but they are of very restricted issue given to development engineers and others who really know what they're doing.

Even if your copy was legit, a product in such early stages of development shouldn't be used or investigated by anyone who is unable to cope with any foibles it may have.

inneedofhelp 16:01 24 May 2004

dont worry guys, not ilegal, it just annoys me. I have seen from of forums that i may need to disable memory caching in the bios. i will try it at home,And yes, its the beta version build 4026

€dstowe 16:32 24 May 2004

You would be best going to the Microsoft sites dedicated to the O/S. You should be registered with MS anyway to be using it.

click here

powerless 21:45 24 May 2004

I believe they were "handing it out" at WinHEC 2004 but don't quote me on that.

€dstowe 07:04 25 May 2004

Even so, Microsoft is the place to go with problems - that's the idea of beta versions - to report back any difficulties experienced with the program. The two issues raised by me above are still very relevant.

I recall that my father was one of the early beta testers for XP and part of the deal was that he posted back all untoward happenings with it.

€d

powerless 07:16 25 May 2004

It's an Alpha version ;-)) [or even a pre-alpha]

€dstowe 08:20 25 May 2004

Even more so!!:-))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?