Installing Linux and 'Kernels'

spuds 12:11 21 Dec 2003

I have just had my computer upgraded, and in the process I requested that my 120gb hard-drive was partitioned.I asked that a Linux [SuSe]Personal 8.2 was installed on a partitioned section.The technician, stated that he had made various attempts, but he was unable to install the Linux, due to 'Kernel'problems. Not being a computer techie, what doe's he mean. Is there a solution to this problem,as I would like to sample Linux on an experimental basis.

The partition was in three sections 80/30/10 approx. Partion Magic 8 was used.

Advice much appreciated.

LastChip 12:21 21 Dec 2003

But Redhat or Mandrake will install from the CD if you setup the BIOS to boot from a CD Drive.

The problem is, few technicians understand anything about Linux. I wouldn't put myself in the category of being a Linux guru, but its not hard to install modern distributions of Linux!

Have a look click here for more basic information.

spuds 12:46 21 Dec 2003

Lastchip. Thanks for the link, will check it out later. Technician stated that he had tried 'everything' including a new clean drive. Just could not get it to install due to 'kernel' problems.He was unable to give further advice.

I notice on Partition Magic 8 that there is a Linux provision. Looked at downloading and printing the Partition Magic guide, all 120 pages.

powerless 13:20 21 Dec 2003

Sounds like a few buggered CDs.

duckers 13:33 21 Dec 2003

SuSE 8.2 is pretty old now so if youve got a brand spanker PC there could be parts in there is does not recognise. SuSE is nice, but I use red hat 9 now, which I love.... the only problem is that Redhat are shortly stopping support for 9...
The main problem you might get is if you have a piece of hardware that is not recognised, and Nvidia graphics cards can be troublesome to set up, but once done theyre OK.

spuds 16:24 21 Dec 2003

Powerless.Brand new recent 1st time out the box purchase. PCW may not be happy (;o))

duckers.This is what the technician thought,possible conflict with other parts,but couldn,t offer any further advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?