installing hard drive with XP

jerica 12:09 31 Aug 2013

Hi, hard drive went bang so used an old one as a temp, installed XP on it and all is OK but the temp one is only 40g, so bought a 160g that had been formatted and tried to install that and the XP installation told me it was probably damaged. Got another 160g and tried again and got the same message. I got this message when I tried to format prior to the install on both drives. Question is have I just been unlucky and bought two duff HDs or am I missing something on the install?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:50 31 Aug 2013

Are these SATA hard drives you are trying to install to?

XP was written before SATA and needs a driver loaded at the F6 prompt before XP can see the drive.

Installing XP on SATA drive Once you have the drive(s) connected you are ready to start installing XP. Master and Slave Remember since it's serial you can only have one device per SATA port/cable so SATA drives don't have jumpers. On the Motherboard SATA1 Port is for the primary device, SATA2 port is for the secondary device etc.

SATA controller driver Your Motherboard or SATA controller card requires a driver to work properly. Drivers may be written into BIOS, Try and see if windows CD can see the drive, if not then the SATA drivers can be located on the installation CD that came with your Motherboard or preferably, download the latest SATA controller drivers from the manufacturers site. Once you have located the drivers copy them to a formatted floppy disk. Make sure they are in the root directory i.e. not contained within any folders. If you did not get a Floppy Disk with the SATA driver included with your Motherboard you may have to make one.

BIOS settings When you turn on the PC hit the Delete key when prompted and you will enter the BIOS (Basic Input Output System). Here you set the first boot device to be the CDROM drive, the option is usually found under the Advanced Options section but this depends on your BIOS and you may have to look around for it. Once you have done this save and exit.

Installing the SATA controller driver Once you have set the PC to boot from the CD make sure the XP CD is in the CD drive and start the installation as per usual. Within the first minute or so of the installation Windows will prompt you to press F6 to install RAID or SCSI drivers, do this. Windows will continue to install then ask you to locate the driver. now with the floppy disk created earlier in drive A: select the driver and hit Enter. With the SATA drivers installed you can now continue the Windows installation as usual.

BIOS settings revisited Once Windows has finished installing you will need to make sure the PC is set to boot from the SATA drive. To do this make the first boot device SATA if the option is available. If not you have two options: HD0 - If there are no IDE HDs present, or SCSI if you do plan on running an IDE HD as a secondary device.

jerica 13:20 31 Aug 2013

Both IDE as was the one removed.

woodchip 13:36 31 Aug 2013

How do they run setup as slaves to the 40g drive. not forgetting you have to set jumpers on the hard drives as they are EIDE. If they work alongside the 40g try check disc on the drives that appear faulty

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:52 31 Aug 2013

If just fitting one drive

check IDE cable is fully pushed in at drive and motherboard.

check jumper set as master.

I would be tempted to fit as slave with the 40G as master and see if 1. your BIOS and can the drive and 2. format it as NTFS from disk management in XP.

If the drive work then still useful to have the op system on the smaller drive and all your data (My documents et.) and pics on the bigger drive when you install new software just select custom install(advanced) and install to the larger drive. Thus when windows goes wrong it quicker to reimage the smaller drive

jerica 13:53 31 Aug 2013

How do I set Jumpers? Actually, what are jumpers?

Chronos the 2nd 13:58 31 Aug 2013

Jumpers are small plastic capps that will cover a couple of pins. Where the pins go will be dependent on the maker of your HDD's.

Here are some images to give you an idea.

jerica 14:13 31 Aug 2013

OK, I'll play and see what happens, thanks.

bumpkin 14:23 31 Aug 2013

Just a point " Question is have I just been unlucky and bought two duff HDs"

Are these new drives?

jerica 14:38 31 Aug 2013

The one I'm trying to fit now is.

jerica 14:57 31 Aug 2013

ok, removed jumper on the 160g to make it the slave, the 40g has jumper in master position. Will not boot unless I disconnect the 160g HD. If I try to boot while the 160 is connected I get a message saying searching for boot record on IDE-O OK searching for boot record on CD drive, not found. searching for boot record on SCSI, not found. Reboot and select proper boot device. If I do that and press F11 then it only gives me a choice of 1 IDE and I get the whole event again. What am I missing?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review

How to draw a mandala

iPhone X review

Les meilleures enceintes Bluetooth à moins de 150 euros