installing graphics card

Peterkins777 14:34 24 Feb 2008

Hi, I am a little confused, I want to install a graphics card, I only have OB graphics at the moment,I have read that this must be disabled before I install my new card, but if I disable it surely I will have a blank screen how will I know what to do? I am running xp home. Peter

citadel 15:28 24 Feb 2008

if you have a modern pc the onboard graphics should auto disable, when you restart the pc the bios always looks to see if there is something new, when it finds the card it will disable onboard and add the memory on the the card to the system. when windows starts new hardware found wizard starts and asks for the cards driver. use the cd that came with the card or download the driver and save it to desktop before you start.
on some older boards graphics may need to be disabled first but it is always worth trying the card first and seeing what happens as you have nothing to lose.

ambra4 15:40 24 Feb 2008

First you access the bios and changed the VGA setting on the motherboard from

PCI to either AGP or PCI-E it all depend on the type of display card that your

motherboard is made for will disable the onboard display

Next shut down the computer and unplug the power cable

Install the AGP or PCI-e display card.

Do not try to force it there is a locking bar at the back of connector, slide it back and plug

in card slide back the locking bar to lock the card to the connector and screwed down the

front plate

Move the monitor cable from the OB connector to the new display card connector

Cover the OB connector with a small bit of tape (to remind you in not to use, as I have

seen persons with a display card plugging there monitor to the OB connector and

saying there monitor is not working or have a bad display card)

Power up the computer XP will install a default display driver

Place cd that came with display card in cd-rom drive and load the drivers you should be

Now up and running with out any problems

kindly 15:42 24 Feb 2008

I have done this a while ago. I just put the new card in and windows had the drivers allready. I never had to disable the OB graphics at all.
You can use the drivers that came with the card because they sometimes have things in them where you can alter the screen.

Peterkins777 16:40 24 Feb 2008

Hi, everyone many thanks for the help. Peter

Peterkins777 16:41 24 Feb 2008

Hi, everyone many thanks for the help. Peter

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone