installing graphic card problems

User-64D62968-5522-4E46-AE56B110D4D43D44 17:32 21 Sep 2005

got a pci graphic card to install as i have on board graphics. tried to install card get a black screen so cannot disable in bios other card... any ideas please help...thanks

Skills 17:51 21 Sep 2005

I think you need to disable the onboard graphics card first and set it to use the pci graphics card (from the BIOS). Then power off the system and install your new card.

Totally-braindead 20:12 21 Sep 2005

Post the make and model of your computer, or if its not a branded one tell us the make and model of your motherboard. Most but not all motherboards with onboard graphics automatically disable themselves when they detect a new card. A few need you to go into the BIOS.

e machines comp maxtor motherboard

do you need to disable before you put in the new card or can u do it after

josie mayhem 21:48 21 Sep 2005

Prehaps you might have to piggy back the card in. By putting the card in and booting up using your onborad graphics card (remember to connect monitor to the onboard graphics) when you're up and running, install the drivers for your new card, and then uninstall if you can at this point the drivers for the on-board graphics.

Power down and then reboot into bois and disable the onboard graphics, and point bois to your new card i.e pci or agp setting.

Totally-braindead 12:08 22 Sep 2005

Have a look here click here its the emachines website. One thing though is this the original motherboard as you say its a Maxtor. I didn't know that Maxtor made motherboards I thought they only made hard drives. If you have changed your motherboard you will need to go to the website for the motherboard as the Emachine info will be wrong. My friend had a Emachine though I can't remember what model it was and all he had to do was plug it in, Windows detected a new graphics card automatically disabled the onboard graphics and asked for the graphics card driver disk so it could install it. Yours may be different.

sorry its a micro ATX motherboard thanks...

citadel 18:36 22 Sep 2005

in the bios integrated peripherals, init.diplay. first. I think you can choose agp or pci.

in bios menu cannot find integrated graphics ..just wondered if it came underplug and play then lists primary video adapter(pci) not sure if this is graphic card...

rômanab 12:59 23 Sep 2005

In my bios, American megatrends, the onboard graphics are enabled/disabled by choosing "advanced" and then "chipset", maybe the same on yours?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?