Installing GeForce 7300 GT - PROBLEMS!

glogan 21:26 28 May 2008

I recently installed a Nvidia 7300 GT but when I boot up the screen goes black after the XP logo. I have tried the BIOS settings but nothing. I think the problem might be that I have the resolution set too high but cant even access my desktop in safe mode. I am stuck now. Help! Thanks

brundle 22:02 28 May 2008

Safe mode -
"The default Microsoft VGA driver is used for display at 640 x 480 resolution and in 16 colors." - not resolution.

Drivers installed? Did you remove a card or disable onboard graphics before installing?

Giggle n' Bits 23:51 28 May 2008

Remove the Card, Go back into windows and uninstall your old graphics driver/software.

Then fit your new card and boot into windows. Note: I this new graphics card has its own power connector, it will be on the edge of the card where you should plug in a power molex connector.

Also what size power supply do you have ?

glogan 08:40 29 May 2008

Thanks - I cant even get to my desktop as the screen goes blank after the XP logo screen. I didnt remove the OB graphics drivers in the first instance. I have an LCD tv which I can connect it to - will this work? Where will I find the drivers for the OB graphics? just cant get past the XP screen - thanks again

ICF 09:06 29 May 2008

Chips~&~Bytes has told you what to do remove the card.Then turn off onboard graphics in the bios or uninstall any previous graphics card driver.Check to see if this graphics card need to have a molex power plug attached from your power supply.Also is the power supply big enough to power this extra load?

glogan 11:47 29 May 2008

Right - the OB graphics has been turned off via BIOS and the new card is installed. The card has a power plug and is attached to the power supply. still no joy.

ICF 12:01 29 May 2008

So you still have a black screen?

glogan 12:48 29 May 2008

yes its still black. The machine fully boots up but there is no display after the XP logo. Display is fine until up until this point - thanks

ICF 12:49 29 May 2008

How big is the power supply?
Has this card worked before?

ICF 12:50 29 May 2008

Daft question you have plugged the moniter into the new card?

glogan 12:58 29 May 2008

Yeah I have done that. Unsure of the power supply but I did at one point take it out and reset everything back to as it was before the new card and the same happens - black screen after teh XP screen - cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?