Installing games on Windows XP

magnus35 15:51 24 Aug 2006

I am trying to install a game produced for Windows 95 / 98 . I can open the file by right clicking in the My Computer window and click on set up but only get to choosing which type of set up to install . The options are not ' lit up ' and therefore can't be selected and no further progress can be made . Why doesn't it install automatically with the Wizard , as other games do ? Can anybody guide this idiot ?

FelixTCat 16:57 24 Aug 2006

magnus,

You haven't given us a lot to go on. What is the game? What happens if you simply run the set-up executable? Which options are not "lit up"?

Regards,

Felix

magnus35 17:25 24 Aug 2006

The game is Admiral Sea Battles by Sold Out Software. I have tried compatibility but can get no further forward . It identifies the location for installation but asks whether this should be small , medium , large or full , however , the check boxes beside these options are faded and will not accept my selection therefore it will not go on to install . I am a complete novice .

FelixTCat 17:55 24 Aug 2006

magnus,

If you right-click on the setup exe and click Properties you will see a Compatibility tab. Is that the one you tried? Click on that and see it for Win 98. You could also try the lower display settings.

Is there enough space on the disk?

Regards,

Felix

magnus35 18:19 24 Aug 2006

It is not the actual running of the program that is the problem but the installation . I feel that it is stuck on the D: drive . I have tried various permutations of compatibility , even having to restart as it got stuck at an antiquated version of the desktop . Is there any way it can be run straight from the CD or would it help to copy the CD to C: drive ? I have bags of room on my hard drive .

Thanks again ,

Magnus .

FelixTCat 18:46 24 Aug 2006

magnus,

Sorry, but you are losing me again.

Right-click on the setup exe of the installation and try the compatibility modes for installation.

What do you mean by "stuck on the D: drive"? Is that your CD?

And what was the "antiquated version of the desktop" and where did that come from?

Regards,

Felix

magnus35 20:06 24 Aug 2006

If the setup exe is the icon with set up beneath it , seen after I right click the CD drive in My Computer and left click open , then we are on the right track . However , there are two setup icons ( three actually but one of them tells me not to touch it as it has to do with the system ) . One icon is just setup and the other is setup95 . I have adjusted compatibility and tried to install using both icons but when it gets to asking what type of installation I want it wont accept my choice as the check boxes are faint and inactive .
The antiquated version of the desktop I referred to appeared after trying one of the adjustments to compatibility and I could only switch between the welcome screen of the game and the older type desktop . It would not let me close it and I had to restart the PC .
By stuck in the D: drive I mean that I can access the files of the game whilst the CD is in the tray but it all disappears when the CD is removed .
I have an awful lot to learn about computers .

Thanks again .

Magnus .

FelixTCat 23:14 24 Aug 2006

magnus,

I have a feeling that this may be a game designed to work in DOS, the system that underlay Win95 and Win98.

Unfortunately, WinXP has a different base. Try running the setup95.exe file in Win95 compatibility mode.

It certainly looks like your hard drive is drive C: and your DVD/CD drive is drive D:

Regards,

Felix

magnus35 00:41 25 Aug 2006

The game sleeve indicates system requirements as Windows 95 or 98 . I took a chance that it would be usable in XP . It's just frustrating that it almost seems to get there . If it would only allow me to select the size of installation .
I had previously asked , in this forum , whether games designed for earlier systems could work in XP and was advised that many would . This isn't the first one that I've tried but it's the only ony no goer . I guess it will have to be put down to experience .
Thanks for your time and assistance .

Magnus .

FelixTCat 12:11 25 Aug 2006

Magnus,

Sorry I couldn't help more.

Best of luck,

Felix

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?