Installing extra internal hard drive! Help!!

Musicalkat 16:56 07 Nov 2008

Hello all.

I wonder if anyone could offer me some advice at all...

I'm wanting to install and extra internal hard drive into my PC for audio recording/music purposes.

My PC is not that new, but it's not that old either so I've been a bit confused about all the new hard drive models that are around at moment and worry if they will be compatable(not to mention not knowing that much about the inner workings of my computer....).

My computer is a HP Pavilion t550.uk Desktop PC/P4/WIN XP/2.8GHz/1.5GB RAM.

On HPs website, it says:
Serial ATA: Intel ICH5 supports two UltraDMA/150 SATA connectors

And on contacting HP, they told me:

"""I have verified product specifications in our database and found that there are 2 SATA connectors available on motherboard. You can install SATA hard drive on your computer. There is one 3.5" internal bay available to install another hard drive. The motherboard bundled with the PC supports SATA I version and will work with the preinstalled hard drive.

I would like to inform you that SATA stands for Serial Advanced Technology Attachment which refers to a computer bus that is primarily designed for transfer of data between a computer and storage device such as a hard drive. SATA 1 is the first such interface and it communicates at the rate of 1 GB per seconds."""

Would anyone know if this mean that I am ok to purchase drives advertised as SATA as opposed to SATA II? Is SATA the same as SATA 1?

Also, I've seen some Seagates written as SATA-300. Would that have anything to do with the '150 connecters' that are written on the HP spec page? Would a '300' not be compatable?

I apologise for my lack of knowledge! I hope this all makes sense and would be very greatful for any advice or recommendations!!

Cheers!

Kat

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:03 07 Nov 2008

SATA 2 (SATA 300) is not backwards compatible with a SATA (SATA 150) controller. In order to use a SATA 2 drive on a SATA (SATA 1?) controller, the hard drive must have a jumper position to restrict it to using SATA (SATA 150), and a jumper must be installed. Some drives have the jumper position available (e.g. some recent Samsung), some don't (e.g. some recent Maxtor).
This information can also probably be easily found on your hard drive manufacturer's web site.
If your drive does not have the jumper position available, you must return it and get a SATA 2 one that does, or a SATA drive.

chub_tor 17:05 07 Nov 2008

SATA-300 drives are backwardly compatible with SATA-150 installations. So you can use one of the modern drives. As each SATA hard drive has its own cable you do not have the Master/Slave problem that exists with IDE drives. click here for an installation tutorial.

chub_tor 17:08 07 Nov 2008

I bow to your superior knowledge but I have yet to buy a SATA2 drive that does not work in a SATA1 system.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:13 07 Nov 2008

technology may have caught up on these drives,

the original SATA2 drives caused problems on the SATA one controllers and required the jumper.This was about 3/4 years ago.

Maybe the controller speed is now detected and the drives switched automatically.

woodchip 18:41 07 Nov 2008

As your Board Supports SATA 1 then by a SATA 1 hard drive. Then you know it should work without any confusion

Musicalkat 09:59 08 Nov 2008

Hello everyone

Thanks for the advice!

I've been confused about backwards compatability too.
I actually got another e-mail back from HP today and they helped clarify things:

""""I have seen your PCs specifications, it says that you have SATA 150 connecters installed in your PC. Both SATA I and SATA II is compatable for your PC. I recommend you to reach the retailer, he will suggest you the exact internal hard drive which is compatable with SATA 150 connecters for your PC"""""

I guess I just need to make sure that it comes with the 'jumpers' that make it backward compatable!

Thanks once again!

Kat

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?