Installing DVD-RW Drive

Dirk Diggler 20:04 26 Nov 2004

Okay heres the deal, I have a new Dual Layer OEM DVD-RW Drive that I am about to install, something I have never done before!

Just a question, apart from slotting the drive into the bay and connecting the IDE cable, is there anything else I need to be looking out for befor I start?

TIA

mattyc_92 20:11 26 Nov 2004

Make sure that you "ground" yourself because of the static build-up. The static may not be strong enough for you to jump up or even feel some-times, but is strong enough to damage your computer's components!!!!!

BigMoFoT 20:17 26 Nov 2004

These are the only other things that you need to look at, i.e. is the drive to be a slave or a master on the primary or secondary IDE chain...

The jumper settings should be explained on the drive..

I would go for the drive as a primary master on the second IDE chain

chugby 20:30 26 Nov 2004

try this site for tutorial click here

Technotiger 20:30 26 Nov 2004

Hi, also if you are using XP make sure the drive and software are compatable with XP - not all drives are!!

Dirk Diggler 23:39 26 Nov 2004

Many thanks all - we are now up and running!

JIM 01:40 27 Nov 2004

glad to see you cracked it and all is well.

(in a nice way of course)

New system rebuild next :o) no problem!

carper 16:13 27 Nov 2004

Good link chugby. Just what I was looking for as well

charlie32 16:54 27 Nov 2004

i just brought this dvd rewriter without the software and the drivers or the decoders the question is can i download any software and decoders for it and do i need to get drivers as well

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires