installing dvd rewritable drive

peterryan33 19:11 18 Mar 2006

Hi,

I am hoping to install a dvd rewritable drive onto my pc. I have established that I have suficient memory for this but wanted to check one more thing about the spec.
It says that my pc needs to have a minimum Pentium III 800 mhz processor or above. My computer has Intel celeron cpu 1300 mhz. Is this sufficient for the dvd drive?

Much appreciated.

LastChip 19:14 18 Mar 2006

;-)

Totally-braindead 19:16 18 Mar 2006

It should be but I can't be certain, to be honest with you I've never really understood why speed would be an issue as all the drives come with buffer underrun so if the processor wasn't fast enough the drive should just wait. Perhaps I'm wrong about that but thats what I thought.

ed-0 19:20 18 Mar 2006

Yes.

I have had a dvd writer running without any trouble on a celeron 800Mhz. The burning software should work out the optimal speed to write and will ajust speed as it works.

peterryan33 19:25 18 Mar 2006

Thanks to those who replied. Just good to check before I put it in. I know 1300mhz is more than 800 mhz ;-) but just was unsure about pentium III & celeron.

Hertz Van Rentyl 22:19 18 Mar 2006

We used to have CD burners on the likes of Pentium 2 400's or less, no buffer underrun protection and a massive 6 speed if you were at the cutting edge, not DVD but they worked (mostly)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires