Installing CD-Roms problem

MICKY BOY 14:41 15 Mar 2009

Hi All,

Have a problem with my CD and DVD disk drives.
Running XP I have a Sony CD-RW 230EE and a Pioneer DVR-RW 110D fitted internally into the system. Both have the up to date drivers installed and show that they are working OK.
Both disk players will play music CD’s ok and the Pioneer will play film DVD’s ok. However if I try to use either to disk drive to install CD R-Rom data onto the computer, the computer freezes up. The data disk is recognized in my computer ok, yet when I right click to open it the computer freezes and in my computer it says “my computer is not responding” even pressing Cntr Alt and Delete will not correct the issue. I have to press the restart button to start windows.
I have had no problem from these disk drives for the past couple of years, why will they play music and films but not install a software CD-Rom.
Have checked that they are set to DMA mode this is ok, also have noticed that when computer is started in safe mode the disk drives transfers from CD-Rom to the hard drive OK.
Your comments and help would be much appreciated.

Mick

Stuartli 15:43 15 Mar 2009

Is one jumpered as the Master and the other the Slave (the DVD-RW will most likely prove to be the one to be detailed as Master)?

This is done using the jumper on the rear of each drive.

MICKY BOY 16:38 15 Mar 2009

Thank you for your response.
Yes I can see that they are connected in line, have had the same system connections for two years, this problem has only just started. I believe since updating drivers using Driver Detective.

Any other advice,

Regards,

Mick

PO79 16:43 15 Mar 2009

In device manager try rolling back to previous drivers, CD and DVD drives should not require drivers, they are supplied by windows. If you can't roll back try installing the drives, again in device manager, and rebooting to let windows install them again.

Graphicool1 16:45 15 Mar 2009

It sounds like Windows isn't recognising them. Try reinstalling.

MICKY BOY 17:04 15 Mar 2009

Thank you for advice, have tried all this already still the same problem.

Mick

MICKY BOY 17:28 15 Mar 2009

Thank you for your reply, that’s what I cannot understand, windows does recognized the CD-Rom when it enters the drives and shows it in my computer, until I right click, that’s when it freezes.

Mick

skidzy 17:49 15 Mar 2009

Ive had similar issues in the past,you could have a buggy windows driver or a conflict somewhere.

Couple of things to try,first one is to run the system file checker.

Start / run / and type

SFC /SCANNOW

and enter,note the space between C and /

You may need your windows disc.

This is worth running quickly and try your discs again click here

Stuartli 18:21 15 Mar 2009

The only drivers needed by optical drives is the basic Windows CDROM driver, which is automatically installed after the drive has been installed.

Uninstalling the drive(s)s in Device Manager and then rebooting usually provides the cure if they are not working properly i.e. Windows Finds New Hardware.

Also try Uninstalling the Primary IDE Channel in Device Manager and Rebooting.

MICKY BOY 18:27 15 Mar 2009

Thank you very much for your help, have thought of this, however my computer is an Evesham, with the appropriate backup XP disk supplied by the Evesham company. How would I install the XP disk when asked for when running system file checker?

Mick

skidzy 19:35 15 Mar 2009

Stuartli
The reason ive said a buggy driver is that maybe Driver detective has installed another driver over the windows driver and possibly causing a conflict with the generic driver.For example if there is another driver installed,windows may see this as the default driver...just a shot in the dark and maybe Mick can post the current driver installation found in device manager...this would at least rule this possibility out.

Mick

Running sfc;

You maybe ok,if windows was preinstalled and has a restore partition.
Though if you can borrow an xp disc (xp home for home XP pro for pro) this will fix any damaged or missing windows files.

Have you run the Doug Knox fix,its a great little tool that may help you help.Its really designed for this particular problem but will reset the registry to how it should be...just in case !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)