installing a cd rom

simmo07 20:35 24 Jul 2007

ive just fixed my pc after i took everything out ages ago. Ive just put some new ram in and eventually got the hard drive booting up. Problem is i cant remember how to get the cd rom working. I only have 1 ide wire with mb,slave and master connectors. Can it still work with just this ide wire or do i need a new one? am still fairly new to fixing pcs.

Cheers

howard64 20:37 24 Jul 2007

yes it should - the hard drive is the master at the end of the cable and cd is the slave on the middle connection

Switcher 22:43 24 Jul 2007

It will work provided you ensure that the CD jumper is set at Slave.

woodchip 22:50 24 Jul 2007

As above if the ribbone cable as three connections one one each end and one in the middle you can connect a Hard Drive and CD drive to the same cable. BUT if it a old 40 wire Ribbon not a 80 and it's a old comp. doing it this way may slow the hard drive down. So you could buy a new Ribbon from a Computer fair for about £2 and put it on IDE2 then both would be set as master

woodchip 22:51 24 Jul 2007

PS red wire on ribbon goes next to Power plug on drive it also goes to pin one on the IDE socket

simmo07 16:17 25 Jul 2007

yeah i had an idea just wanted an expert opinion. This ribbon wont stretch so i mite have to get another.

Cheers

simmo07 16:40 25 Jul 2007

well i moved the cd rom right to the bottom so the ribbon just say fit.

All working cheers!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?