Installing broadband in new house

  Done and dusted 12:30 16 Jan 2007

We have moved into rented accommodation and wish to take advantage of broadband. The location where the BT telephone line comes into the house is about twenty metres away from where my computer sits and I understand that this may be a problem. I already have an ADSL modem from when we had brioadband at the previous house. Can anyone offer me any advice as to how to proceed?

  ed-0 12:41 16 Jan 2007

Get a couple of phone extensions from pound land. Join them together and place the modem next to the computer. Cost £2.


Connect a ADSL WiFi modem next to the BT phone line, were it enters the house. Add either an internal PCI WiFi card or external USB WiFi dongle. The result will be that the signal will be sent from the router, next to the BT socket, to the computer in any room in the house. Cost around £60. But you have no wires and you can easily pack it away when you next move.

  dwe 19:40 17 Jan 2007

buy a rj11 cable plug it into the filter by the phone line and then the modem easy mine is ten metres

  FreeCell 19:49 17 Jan 2007

You could go for powerline adaptors which use the house ring main as network cable. A neater solution without trailing cables but much more expensive.

  Done and dusted 12:44 25 Jan 2007

Thanks for your help. Gone for the ADSL WiFi modem next to where the phone line enters the house along with the USB dongle. You folks are great for people who have little knowledge of computers. Thanks.

  ed-0 17:24 25 Jan 2007

A pleasure to help.

Enjoy the WiFi experience.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?