Installing Belkin Range Extender on Secure Network

Chris69 12:10 08 May 2008

I have just purchased a Belkin Wireless G Universal Range Extender/Access Point, which I wish to use to extend the distance covered by my existing home wireless network. The main access point is a Tiscali/Alice Box ADSL modem running a secured network.

The Belkin's Auto Connect button did not succeed in linking the Belkin to the Alice access point.

I therefore connected the Belkin to the Alice Access Point using the cable supplied by Belkin, and then using the Belkin CD set the WURE's IP address and subnet mask as per Belkin Quick Installation Guide. I set the WURE IP address to xxx.xxx.x.3 (the AliceBox IP address is xxx.xxx.x.2) and the subnet mask to the same as the alice Box.

Having done so, the Belkin does now connect to the AliceBox and I can get good signal strength from the Belkin on my laptop. However, whilst signal strength is shown as good or excellent, it also states "limited connectivity" and I cannot access the internet/e-mails etc through the connection.

I presume this may be because the AliceBox network is a secured network and the steps I have taken above may not be sufficient to enable the Belkin to access the secured network (e.g. for installing a Wi-Fi USB card on my desktop I had to enter an SSID code and a WEP code, that I presume are the security access codes - you will see that I am not very Wi-Fi literate !).

How can I go about programming the Belkin to enable access to the secured network - I've looked at the manual and cannot see any guidance - or at least any that I can recognise as being the solution to my problem !

Please keep any advice very simple, specific and step-by-step - I have only just started using Wi-Fi !

Many thanks

Chris

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone