installing AVG9 free

palinka 13:59 02 Mar 2010

this problem is in connection with click here which I thought was all done & dusted; but not so. Maybe others have had same experience and can advise.
I downloaded the AVG9 Free setup files on my Vista PCD, , saved them to my USB stick and transferred them to his (XP)computer. I've done this for various friends many times over the years. But this time, when I clicked the set-up icon to open and install, the computer insisted on connecting to the internet. After 40 minutes (on a dial up running at 50Kps) we were still only at 17% downloaded.....of what?? There should have been no need to download anything at that stage , though my memory may be at fault because it's sometime since I performed this task on a PC that did not have a bb connection. So I aborted the operation.
Anyone else had a similar experience? Any suggestions?

BRYNIT 14:22 02 Mar 2010

It sound as though you have just downloaded the download manager and not the AVG9 file.

Try click here

manrow 15:32 02 Mar 2010

On a similar issue I have been unable to update AVG Free 9.0 today on my three computers.

On 2 of them I uninstalled the programme but now cannot install the programme again as it just says 'site slow to respond, download failed'.

Anyone else similar experiences?

palinka 16:48 02 Mar 2010

thank you both. Yes, you're right BRYNIT, that's what I'd done. Can't think how I made that mistake - never have before and won't do it again!

Ian in Northampton 17:09 02 Mar 2010

Palinka: don't beat yourself up - I think, with AVG 9.0, the download manager is all you can download - I haven't yet found a way of downloading (and saving) the whole executable, like you used to be able to do with previous versions of AVG Free. It was a royal pain upgrading all six machines at home...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?