Installing another Hard drive

moggers 15:27 07 Mar 2006

Im trying to install another hard drive onto my PC it has shwon up on windows as being there but on boot up it gives me a message saying imminent hard drive failure backup this volume etc etc. and then tells me the ROM option is full I think it comes on so fast I cant read it properly.
Ive got my Master drive as my original on drive 0 and the new one as a slave on drive 1 (thats what it says on the lead anyway) Any ideas why the imminent failure message comes up and how to go about fixing it? Could i need a bigger PSU? my current one is 240 Watts I think

Josquius 15:48 07 Mar 2006

from what's being said there it sounds like faulty hardware...
Just a guess from that though.

moggers 16:03 07 Mar 2006

Ive just had a look in device manager and it says the device is working properly, I disabled it and rebooted but the same error message came up again? Any more suggestions?

pj123 17:54 07 Mar 2006

Have you Partitioned and Formatted it?

moggers 18:17 07 Mar 2006

No i havent, it was from a friends old PC didnt know I had to do that, do i have to partition it? I am going to format it but just wanted to see if it was worth it, also being a bit of a noob.... how do I partition it???

Josquius 09:59 08 Mar 2006

Booting up from the xp disk is the easiest way. Befor you get to installing xp there are formatting options.

moggers 12:24 08 Mar 2006

OK one other problem there I didnt get an XP disk when i bought the

moggers 12:26 08 Mar 2006

Ok one other problem there I didnt get an XP disk when i bought the PC I got it cheap (nothing illegal tho!!) and didnt get a disk with it, is there any other way? Im just about to format the drive now probably going to take a while...........

Smiler 12:33 08 Mar 2006

Does the drive show up in windows explorer if so you can right click on it and select format.

moggers 12:34 08 Mar 2006

Yep formatting is not a problem its the partitioning part Im not too hot on

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?