installing another hard drive

pc mad 14:17 20 Mar 2004

hi, i would like to install another hard drive on my pc, i tried this once before but all i got was a blank screen, the existing cable allowed the connection of another hard drive, the hd all ready installed on the pc was left as the master, and the new one was set to slave, can any body tell me where i am going wrong, many thanks

martjc 14:34 20 Mar 2004

Is the data cable in the right way round? Pin 1 is marked by a red line and usually aligns nearest the power plug. Make sure the power plug is in correctly. These are often VERY tight and appear to be in properly while this is not the case.

Check these points and re-boot. If the drive is o.k. the machine should see it.

martjc 14:35 20 Mar 2004

Is the data cable in the right way round? Pin 1 is marked by a red line and usually aligns nearest the power plug. Make sure the power plug is in correctly. These are often VERY tight and appear to be in properly while this is not the case.

Check these points and re-boot. If the drive is o.k. the machine should see it.

pc mad 15:23 20 Mar 2004

i have checked that the data cable is in the right way around, and the power cable is in tight, i boot the pc up, does the memory check, then it stops at "verifing dmi pool data" with a line flashing below,

pj123 16:04 20 Mar 2004

Well the first thing is that a new hard disk needs to be fdisk, partitioned and formatted before it is recognised. You need to download a bootdisk from click here Regardless of the operating system you are using (which you haven't told us) I suggest you download the bootdisk for Win98SE. Once you have made a boot floppy you then need to install your new hard disk as the master (disconnect your existing hard disk). Make sure the BIOS detects the new disk and also that it is set to boot from floppy first, then boot your computer with the floppy bootdisk with CD support. When you get to the A: prompt type in fdisk and press enter. Follow the prompts and partition the disk. When that is done switch off the computer and reboot with the bootdisk, and again when you get to A: prompt type in format c: and press enter. When that has finished switch off and reconnect your original hard drive as master and the new hard drive as slave. Make sure the BIOS detects them both, save and exit and you are done. Any problems email me and I will talk you through.

bremner 16:08 20 Mar 2004

pj123's advice is certainly the case for an o/s other than XP.

With XP you use Disk Management from within the O/S (Right click om My Computer and choose 'Manage')

bretsky 16:25 20 Mar 2004

Go to click here

bretsky ;0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?