Installed Xp,what about drivers,xp updates etc etc

buel 11:35 24 May 2009

Hi, iv recently installed Xp home on a brand new h.d and it workd fine, im about to install my o2 broadband (by using the 02 cd) just to update my AVG, what i want to know is:
1, will i be prompted to update xp to s.p 3? (the xp cd i used already had sp2)as i dont want to do that as iv heard of the problems with it?

2, I believe now is a good time to 'back up' the pc? How do i go about doing this please? I dont have a 'recovery partition' you see.

Thank you in advance.

kidsis 11:49 24 May 2009

as regards sp3, I installed this some months ago and it seems ok (fingers crossed). I'm assuming - perhaps wrongly - that since this install you have not been on the net? Because usually as soon as a recently installed xp goes on to the net updates start to download, mind you I always leave mine on automatic download. I would personally go for sp3 after back up.

re back up, I use an external hard drive and acronis TI, obviously there are other programmes that others recommend. Might be worth firstly backing up the pc as it is, then download software/updates and back up again. I tend to use cumulative back up, others do a fresh back up each time. HTH

cream. 11:58 24 May 2009

If you don't want to install SP3.

Go to control panel > security centre > automatic updates at the bottom. Select notify me but do not download updates or install them.

You will then be notified of available updates and you can select which updates you wish to install.

I must say that I've never had a problem with SP3.

buel 11:58 24 May 2009

Ok, thanks, how do i use an external h.d to back up my windows? (Or do i need to being as i have an xp cd?)

Taff™ 12:16 24 May 2009

The problem with cream`s method is that the first update you will be notified to download and install will be SP3 because it is a collective update of many years of MS Updates. There are also some 48 updates that follow SP3 including things you might want such as IE8. The easiest thing to do is grab a copy of SP3 as an ISO image, burn it to CD and install it that way. There are very few issues with it. click here

buel 14:47 24 May 2009

Ok, thank you for that! What about making an iso of my pc to use as a back up?

Taff™ 15:13 24 May 2009

It doesn`t quite work like that! You need to take an image of your entire drive that includes the OS and programs and all the data on it. Effectively a complete snapshot of your system. The best program for this, as recommended by many on this forum is Acronis True Image. Have a look on Amazon for the latest version. There are other products out there but ATI is worth the investment.

buel 15:27 24 May 2009

Thank you for that, il buy it today!
Just another question, iv mentioned that iv installed xp on a new h.d and it seems to work just fine but i was under the impression that i had to download lots of drivers but everything seems to be ok??

Taff™ 07:38 25 May 2009

It can sometimes work like that because the Operating Systems have generic drivers for most of the main computer components. To check if you have everything necessary go to Device Manager and check if you have any Yellow/Back warning symbols. Start>Control Panel>System (or Windows Key + Pause Break Key) then Hardware Tab.

My bet is that there will be at least a Network Communications Device driver missing and possibly the sound?

buel 14:52 25 May 2009

Hi, next to 'Other Devices' there are 4 things:
pci device
pci simple communications controller
sm bus controller
video controller (vga compatible)

All with a yellow question mark next to them??
Iv tried updating the drivers using 'Driver max' but the downloads keep stalling and the report log reads 'error'! Any ideas please?

buel 15:20 25 May 2009

Hi, next to 'Other Devices' there are 4 things:
pci device
pci simple communications controller
sm bus controller
video controller (vga compatible)

All with a yellow question mark next to them??
Iv tried updating the drivers using 'Driver max' but the downloads

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone