Installed second hard drive advice please

TBOM 08:23 30 Dec 2006

Hello,

Have just installed a second hard drive for more capacity and have successfully set it up as my new boot drive. I have copied all the files from my old drive onto the new one through the Seagate DiscWizard programme that came with the hard drive (a Seagate Ultra ATA 300GB from Maplins).

Now I obviously have a duplicate set of all files on both hard drives. I assume I can simply delete the files on the original drive, right? Or is there something I should be aware of?

I have checked, and the system is booting from Windows files on the new drive.

Thanks

Diodorus Siculus 08:33 30 Dec 2006

One way to find out would be to disconnect the old drive and boot up - then see if everything is ok.

Diemmess 09:18 30 Dec 2006

Play safe.
Pull the data plug on the old HD.
Make very sure the whole thing boots and runs normally with all applications and data available.
Remake the data cable connection, you can now format the old HD.
(? I think this will be safe because Windows will not you to format the drive which is currently running the OS ?)

Diemmess 09:22 30 Dec 2006

Drat .... should read Windows will not ALLOW you

TBOM 09:51 30 Dec 2006

...Windows seems to be fine, the whole thing booted up perfectly and all my files are there on the new hard drive.

BUT....

...all the toolbar and start menu shortcuts to my Microsoft Office programmes are unrecognised (i.e. no longer in the form of Excel, Word or Powerpoint logos...).

When I try to launch any Office documents, I get a dialogue box saying "Windows Installer", then after a while, another dialogue box appears saying: "The patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package".

I thought about uninstalling Office and re-installing it, but when I clicked Remove from my Add/remove Programmes command, I got the same message.

I am running Microsoft Office 2003 Standard Edition. Advice please?

Diodorus Siculus 10:16 30 Dec 2006

Try doing a detect and repair from the help menu of one of the Office applications.

Diodorus Siculus 10:16 30 Dec 2006

Actually, you can't do that :-(

Put in the Office CD and try removing with it and then do a clean install.

TBOM 10:50 30 Dec 2006

Well, I tried to do that (remove & reinstall) but as soon as I put the Office CD in my disc drive, the set up says "Installing files" and then I get the same dialogue box about the missing patch.

Same thing happens when I reconnect the old hard drive.

I'm sure this is something simple (like a ptch or something not copied over properly from the old drive), but don't know what.

thms 11:11 30 Dec 2006

Have a look here
click here

Diemmess 11:45 30 Dec 2006

If it is not too late to try ......

My Computer > "your new drive" > Program Files >MS Office > Office(?#)

You should be able to see the recognisable Logos and the Exec. files you want.

One at a time, right click on each and choose "Make short cut"
Click on this, and a new shortcut will appear in that folder.
Drag to a blank place on your desktop.(Or Cut and Paste)
If this works then delete the dud shortcut on your desktop, and repeat for each of the applications.

TBOM 17:36 30 Dec 2006

thms - your suggestion to look at the Google groups problems gave me the solution.
All working perfectly now, many thanks to all.
I'm so glad I launched this forum back in the year 2000!
TBOM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?