Installed pc components - power on help!

bennyrub 14:51 07 Nov 2009

hi guys

I recently bought a new chassis and decided to swap my pc to work in that. I have screwed in the mobo, screwed in the psu, plugged the psu into the ATX power connector on the mobo.

When i plug in the psu to the mains and then turn it on, once ive pressed the case power on button at the front of my case it seems that my fan starts to spin for a fraction of a second and then there is no power and nothing happens.

My motherboard is the Asus P5N73 AM here is a link to the manual click here

my new psu which i bought is here click here

Please help!

bennyrub 15:20 07 Nov 2009

Anybody please give me a hand? Im worried ive fried something and ill need to fork out more cash which i dont have! ;(

RobCharles1981 15:24 07 Nov 2009

Something up with PSU I think thats not a good powersupply you have by the way.

GaT7 15:28 07 Nov 2009

It's easy enough to forget to plug in the 12V 4pin connector (number 11 of page 34 in the PDF manual). Did you do this? If yes, then see the rest of this post...

Sometimes when it switches on for a fraction of a second, it could be due to a faulty case switch.

For troubleshooting purposes only, temporarily disconnect the wire that connects the front case switch's to the motherboard power header.

Then, with the help of a flat head screwdriver, (& the PSU plugged into the mains) short the power header pins for a second, i.e. until it switches on.

If it starts up normally & continues to do so, the case's switch is not working properly.

If symptoms remain the same, then at least you know the case switch is not the cause & we can try something else. G

GaT7 15:29 07 Nov 2009

"...thats not a good powersupply you have by the way." - on the contrary, that's a very good PSU. Antec make excellent PSUs - some don't possess the best external looks though. G

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:31 07 Nov 2009

Check all connections (4 pin next to CPU connected?)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:32 07 Nov 2009

Check all connections (4 pin next to CPU connected?)

Crossbow
must refresh before posting :0)

bennyrub 15:40 07 Nov 2009

Okiedoke, i had already plugged in the 12v 4 pin connector.

I also tried shorting the pins of the power btn but nothing happened once again.

I am right in thinking that the power btn pins are page 35 diagram 12 of the manual. Both my power btn wire from the front case and the reset do not have a + or - on the two wires. Will thi affect anything?

Sorry for the hassle, im just worried ive botched it up.

GaT7 15:46 07 Nov 2009

The Power button does have polarity, but not termed as +ve & -ve.

But for the sake of the cases' connectors, you can take Power (PWR) to be +ve & Ground (GND) to be -ve. See top right of diagram on pg 35. G

bennyrub 15:46 07 Nov 2009

oh and i forgot to mention, when the psu is plugged in and turned on a small led is lit on my motherboard. Not sure if this can help you guys determine anything.

GaT7 15:51 07 Nov 2009

The LED lighting up, & staying lit, is a good sign. A blinking LED is not a good sign.

Anyway, try matching the case switch's 'polarity' to the power header's on the motherboard (see my previous post).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?