Installed linux, lost boot menu

simmo09 19:47 06 May 2008

If you have read some of my previous posts i have had trouble installing linux ubuntu in which a few weeks ago lost all data on C: and D: drives. I was reccomended to install Linux Backtrack 2 as the install was simple. So i did the following:

From XP created a 5GB partition as Linux ext3 format, ran BT (Backtrack) from the CD and installed onto sda3 (which i checked was the correct partition). All installed fine with no problems. However if i restart the PC whichever boot method (HD or CD) BT loads up, there is no option to load XP. I know that windows C: and my other NTFS partition D: is fine as i can see the contents from BT kommander (file browser) - so nothing has been formatted.

My problem is how can i get a boot menu to choose which OS to start? It loads BT by default but i want two boot menus:

1) XP Pro
2) Backtrack

Thanks!

simmo09 20:03 06 May 2008

seems to be something to do with lilo, im currently following this click here which i hope will solve it

Please advise further if this seems wrong

simmo09 20:14 06 May 2008

seems to of worked, phew. The link i provided actually was inaccurate in my circumstances in which i could not find the line "#Linux bootable partition config begins"

So i opened a new Konsole and type lilo, voila it added windows. rebooted now has a boot menu :)

Ronnie268 21:33 05 Sep 2008

If not try "Super Grub Disk"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?