Installed incorrect SATA driver

X™ 19:27 13 Oct 2008

Hi. I reformatted my laptop yesterday, it had two partitions. C: was Vista and D: was XP. I just formatted and installed on C:. I was installing everything and it was all going well. My laptop had SATA IDE compatibility mode, so XP works fine. I wanted to install the SATA drivers for better performance. I was following a guide, and all was going smoothly, but, I had a different version of driver then the guide, and I accidently chose the wrong device in the ".inf" file. Now my C:\ XP won't boot. I've tried Sata compatibility and enhanced mode. Nothing. Can I change it back at all? I just get a BSOD then it restarts. I've got the other XP so I can change files ect.

Thanks.

T I M B O 19:37 13 Oct 2008

Try F8 into safe mode and select last know working configuration that might do it.

X™ 20:13 13 Oct 2008

Thank you! First time that option has EVER worked for me. I know what it is abot now.

Before I mark it as resolved, I've got it started, should I do anything before shutting down? I'm not gonna bother with the SATA drivers now, unless there is a huge advantage.

Thanks!

aine 20:53 13 Oct 2008

I believe that on your next reboot, you will get a notice that the system has changed, just ignore it and continue

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?